Performance Issues

Has anyone experienced any performance issues on Build sp1_20060811 of DB-VA? After I downloaded this build everything seems to be running slowly. Doing a list by query call against a table with only 850 records takes 15 to 20 seconds. (Running the same query in a pro-filer (toad) only takes a few milliseconds.) Assigning associations seems to be even worse taking as much as 2 minutes to complete.

(I’m using the .net version with Visual Studio)

Hello otte-o,

Thank you for your post, and sorry for causing you any inconveniences.

Could you provide me with more information about your problem? Were the slowness occuring when reversing your DB (with 850 records) to DB-VA? Could you provide the steps? You also mentioned assigning associations, do you mean establishing an assiciation relationship between two shapes?

Finally, please also let me know which DB (MSSQL, MySQL, etc…) you are working on, and which driver did you choose. Thank you.

Best Regards,
Jick

The slowdowns are actually occurring when you use the generated code in an application. (Using Visual Basic) The modeling and reverse database works great. I’ll provide some code examples…


Dim cq() As ASTA_CALL_QUEUE = ASTA_CALL_QUEUE.ListASTA_CALL_QUEUEByQuery( _
"QUEUE_TYPE_CODE = '" +  queueTypeCode + "'",  "QUEUE_DATE, QUEUE_PRIORITY")

This statement can take up to a minute to execute. It will return about 850 records from a table of 8800 records or so. Running the raw SQL in our data tools (toad) will only take a fraction of a second.

The other issues is with associations.


Dim e As ABC_ENTITY = Nothing
e = ABC_ENTITY.CreateABC_ENTITY

Dim entityType As ABC_ENTITY_TYPE = ABC_ENTITY_TYPE.LoadABC_ENTITY_TYPEByORMID("FAC")

e.ENTITY_TYPE = entityType

The last line in this code will take almost a minute to execute.

I am using an oracle 9i database with the 10g client.

Thanks.

[Edited to prevent this post from messing up the format on the page.]

Thanks Greg. I’ll ask our engineers to look into this issue.

Hi Greg,

We tried following the information given and it only took 2 seconds to finish running your code. Are there many relationships between tables? Is it possible to send us your project file for finding out the problem? You can send to my email address at:
jick@visual-paradigm.com

Best Regards,
Jick

Yes there are a lot of tables and relationships. (32 tables and 1 view) I think it is only going to get worse, because I’m just getting started on development and will add several more tables. I will send the project file to the address provided.

Thanks,
Greg

Hi Greg,

Thank you for your project file, I received that already. Before working with Build sp1_20060811, did you use other builds? Do you find this problem occur any in other releases?

Best Regards,
Jick

I have used all the releases from the initial release of 3.2 and don’t recall having this problem, but the model is always changing so it is hard to say if it is the build or the current model that is causing the problems.

Am I right in assuming that the persistence manager is loading all the records into memory when you do a list by query call? I can see why this would cause big slowdowns on a large object model. This method is very inefficient when working with large amounts of data.
It would be nice if there was some sort of virtual collection that would only load one record at a time. (Kind of like the data reader object in Visual Studio) This would allow you to quickly iterate through the data. The trade off would be the amount of database activity would increase.

Just a thought.

Thanks,
Greg

Hi Greg,

Sorry for the late reply. We have fixed this issue. I will send you a deploy as soon as possible. Thank you for your patient.

Best regards,
Jick

I experienced the same issue described by Greg when using DB Visual ARCHITECT 3.2 Service PackBuild sp1_20060825. This is with MySql 5.0. I’ve attached the class diagram. Fast response on queries on Guest entity were observed until I added the Enforcement Point entity to the model - then response time is 20 secs.

I this fix in sp 2? I thought I bought the product in Sept., so I’m not sure why I’m using sp 1.

Thanks,
Brien

classes.jpg

Hello Brien,
I’m not sure if this is one of the issues addressed by SP 2.

But when you wonder why you are running on an August build which is still SP1: Use the update function. On Windows it is under Start->Programs->Visual Paradigm->VP Suite Update 2.3.

Best regards
Juergen

Hi all,

The fix will be available in the coming version. Sorry for not mentioning this point earlier.

Best regards,
Jick

Hi Greg and Brien,

I am glad to inform you that DB-VA 3.2 Service Pack 3 is released. In the latest release, we added a new way for you to retrieve the objects. With the new approach, you can call iterateXXXByQuery to retrieve the objects, which is much faster.

Please perform an upgrade to advance to the newest version. To upgrade, please run the updater inside $vp-suite-install-dir/bin/.

Hope this enhancement is useful to you. Please feel free to let me know if you have any comments about this new feature.

Best regards,
Jick