Performance problem

Hello,

Size of the model we’re currently creating is close to 15MB with few diagrams with about 100 elements visualized on them. Working with these diagrams requires a lot of patience as some operation like selecting and moving element take many, many seconds. Is there any option to speed up the tool ?

Best regards, Artur

I don’t know if it will help but I have personally experienced performance improvement when using a newer Java binary, as I have discussed here, instead of the one currently bundled with VP UML.

Hi Artur, D6chung,

Thanks for your post. Actually we support lazy-loading so it won’t consume much of time and memory when you open the project. Provided that you organized the model elements with Models and packages instead of all placed in root, lazy-loading will play a good role to avoid loading all model elements when open project.
If all (or most of) your model elements are placed to root and your project is close to 15MB, it’s most likely that performance will be affected as there are too much model elements has been loaded, which consume much memory at the starting point. Therefore we always recommend users to have good management on model elements in Model Explorer.

FYI, if you need more details about how to manage model elements, please refer to:
http://www.visual-paradigm.com/product/vpuml/provides/diagramtools.jsp#modelorganization

In case your project is too large that requires larger heap size than the default one, we will prompt users when the large project is opened. This can help avoiding out of memory problem when working with large project.

Last but not least, we do have users that are working on really large projects (over 40 MB) and they don’t have any performance problem. So I think your project size will not be a problem on performance.

Of course, if there is any behavior or performance issue you think it’s unacceptable, please do not hesitate to share with us and we will try to further enhance our application. :slight_smile:

Best regards,
Lilian Wong