Printing Issue

Hi,

I’m having trouble printing a diagram, using the latest version of VP-UML Standard Edition (Evaluation).
Everytime I click Print, I’m first directed to the page where I select the pages and which diagrams to print. When I’m done, I click the print icon (the first on the right) and it just gets stuck. It does nothing from then on. Funny thing is that it does not turn gray or anything, the window is correctly drawn even if I move it around, showing the diagram and all the buttons, but I can’t click on anything and the print icon is highlighted.

Can you help me?

Joao

Hello again,

The problem is solved. It had to do with the fact that none of the printers I have configured was set as default. As soon as I set one up as default, the print dialog appeared.
This however seems like a bug, because no warning or error was displayed, simply nothing happens.

Hi Joao,

Thanks for your post. It’s a strange instance that you do not have default printer, as the system should automatically assign one of your printers as the default printer.

May I know how did you configure in your machine to have no default printer?

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

I had a similar problem running with JDK 1.6 after upgrading my machine to Ubuntu Hardy (64-bit). The print preview window showed up, but the toolbar buttons for “Print” and “Page Setup” (as well as the corresponding menu items) did nothing – no error message, no freeze, but also no final print dialog. Looking in vp.log, I saw that the process was getting a null pointer exception from

sun.print.IPPPrintService.isAttributeValueSupported(Unknown Source)

I then found this bug report at sun:

http://bugs.sun.com/view_bug.do?bug_id=6633656

which explains that the problem is a recent release of CUPS using a different default value for the page orientation attribute. So I went into the Ubuntu System->Administration->Printing dialog, and on the “Job Options” tab changed the Orientation combo box from the default value of “Automatic Rotation” to portrait, restarted the CUPS server et voila: printing works fine now.

Hope this helps,

Jim

[quote=LilianWong]Hi Joao,

Thanks for your post. It’s a strange instance that you do not have default printer, as the system should automatically assign one of your printers as the default printer.

May I know how did you configure in your machine to have no default printer?

Best regards,
Lilian Wong[/quote]

Hi,

I didn’t. I recently added a couple of network printers to my system, and Windows must have dropped the default printer (don’t know why). When I tried printing something in Visio, it warned me I had no default printer, and that’s how I discovered it.

Luck, I guess…

J.

Hi Joao,

Thanks for replying and the details. It’s a good news that you solved the printing problem. If you have any inquiries in the future, please do not hesitate to ask.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong