Problem when used with Eclipse 3.2 I get a not readable message

Hello,

After installing I get the following message. SDE cannot be started because the folder ECLIPSE_DIR/sde is not readable. Please set its read permissions and restart SDE.

I have looked and some of the files are set to read only but should be readable. I 've tried to change the settings to read write but for some reason its not changing the attribute.

Any ideas.

Thanks

Adam Shepherd

Dear Adam Shepherd,

Thank you for your post.

May I know whether there are any files inside $Eclipse-HOME/sde folder? Besides, do you use any other plugins?

We look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,
Jick

Yes there are files inside that folder.

I’m using MyEclipse so there are the plugins that come with that.

Thanks

Adam Shepherd

Hello Adam,

I notice that there is a ticket in our ticket system about this problem. I suggest we continue there to reduce the conversation overhead.

By the way, I just sent you a message for requesting the folder and file listing of $Eclipse-HOME

Best regards,
Jick

Hello,
Is this problem sorted out? I get the same issue.

My installation is as follow:
VP-Suite -> ~/app/VP_Suite3.0
Eclipse (common) -> /usr/share/eclipse
Eclipse (plugins) -> ~/.eclipse/org.eclipse.sdk.ide/updates/eclipse

I’ve found two ‘sde’ directories, one in VP-Suite and one in Eclipse plugins. But both are +0755.

Any clue?
Thanks in advance for your help, cheers,
Guillaume

Hi Guillaume,

Do you have other plugins (e.g. MyEclipse, like this user) installed on the Eclipse? Could you post /usr/share/eclipse/vp.log here?

Best regards,
Jick

Hi,
Yes, I have PHPeclipse, Aptana and GEF plug-ins installed.

I found 2 vp.log files which content are as follow:

/home/guillaume/vp.log:

[Mon Jun 25 14:08:14 NZST 2007] [warning] the folder ECLIPSE_DIR/sde has no file.
[Mon Jun 25 14:08:14 NZST 2007] [warning] Cannot read Product and Edition
[Mon Jun 25 14:13:44 NZST 2007] [warning] Invalid sde folder: /usr/share/eclipse/ 

/home/guillaume/app/VP_Suite3.0/vp.log:

failed: 
Working Directory: /home/guillaume/.eclipse/org.eclipse.sdk.ide/updates/eclipse
/home/guillaume/.eclipse/org.eclipse.sdk.ide/updates/eclipse/eclipse -clean -vmargs -Xms64m -Xmx512m -XX:MaxPermSize=256m -Dcom.vp.vpsde.ec.VPSDEECMain=true  

it seems that it looks for the sde folder in /usr/share/eclipse although I installed it (like the others plug-ins) in my “private” environment /home/guillaume/.eclipse/org.eclipse.sdk.ide/updates/eclipse

Is it any config file that I can setup to make it pointing at the right place?
Cheers,
Guillaume

Hi Guillaume,

Sorry to keep you waiting. Could you send us your ${vp-suite-install-dir}/resources/.product_installation/xml file?

You said that the first log is at " /home/guillaume/vp.log", which looks abnormal. It should be inside ${eclipse} folder. Yet, the log appear under VP Suite installation folder is normal.

Best regards,
Jick

OK, I just sent it as with ticket # VEP-232342
Looking forward,
Guillaume

Hi Guillaume,

We are checking. Will come back to you as soon as possible.

Best regards,
Jick

Hello Guillaume,

Could you send me your Eclipse configuration details? You can find it from the About dialog box of the Eclipse, and I am referring to the Eclipse at /home/guillaume/.eclipse/org.eclipse.sdk.ide/updates/eclipse/eclipse

Best regards,
Jick

configuration-details.png

OK, I sent it.

Please note that I’m using the most recent version of Eclipse for Ubuntu 6.06 LTS - the Dapper Drake - which is only 3.1.2

Thanks Guillaume. Let’s continue in our ticket system.