Problems and inconveniences in SDE for Intelli-J

Hi,

I am currently evaluating VP Suite for modelling in a mixed environment of C++ and Java code. There are a few issues and questions I have come across while experimenting with SDE Professional:

I started by reverse engineering some java code and creating some diagrams. This all worked well, and was intuitive to use.

I wanted to test the roundrip development stuff, so I added an operation to one of the classes in my model and did an “update to code”. This also worked well.

1. I then modified the return type of the operation in the model and did “update to code” again. This didn’t work - the code retained its original return type. I tried this a few times with different return types, and it still wouldn’t work.

2. I then created a new class in my SDE model and updated this in the code. It would be nice if it could use the Intelli-J templates when creating new code files, to get the default javadoc comments, etc.

3. The generated code sometimes imports unnecessary packages like java.lang.*, or imports the same package that the class is in.

4. It would be nice if “force update to code” was on the context sensitive menus so that we can do it on a single class instead of on the whole model.

5. Does the product support loops in sequence diagrams?

Thanks,
Michael.

Hi michaels,

Thank you for your post. Let me answer your questions one by one.

1 and 3) I am sorry, but we cannot repeat this problem. Could you provide the steps? We would be grateful if you can send me the .vpp file as well. For privacy concern, you can send to me email address:
jick@visual-paradigm.com

2 and 4) I will forward your suggestion to our developers. Thanks for your suggestion.

1. Yes, we support Loops in Sequence Diagram. Please watch the following movie that shows you how to create loop in Sequence Diagram.
    http://files4.visual-paradigm.com/200609/Jick/creating-a-loop-combined-fragment-20060901.htm

Have a nice weekend!

Best regards,
Jick

Hi Jick,

I’m not sure what happened last time with the code generation when I modified the return type of a method. I have attempted to reproduce the problem today, and couldn’t.

I will let you know if I can obtain a consistently reproducible test scenario.

Cheers,
Michael.

Dear michaels,

The problem of producing unnecessary import statements through code update is fixed in Service Pack 2, and deployed as a hotfix. Since I guess that you are using Service Pack 1, please follow the steps below to install the hotfix:

1. Close SDE and the IDE if they are running
  2. Run the updater inside $vp-suite-install-dir/bin to advance to Service Pack 2
  3. Download:
    http://files4.visual-paradigm.com/200609/HotFix/sp2_20060908d/vpplatform.jar
  4. Replace $vp-suite-install-dir/lib/vpplatform.jar with the downloaded jar file

I will post again when a complete release is ready.

Best regards,
Jick

Hi michaels,

I would like to inform you that a complete build is released for VP Suite 2.3 Service Pack 2. Since you were asked to use a hotfix release, please run the updater inside $vp-suite-install-dir/bin to advance to the complete build (with fix included).

Best regards,
Jick