Prolems with SDE-EC

I’ve got a Linux machine running Fedora2 with Linux kernel 2.6.6-1.435. I’m using Sun’s Java 1.4.2_04-b05 SDK. I installed SDE-EC into Eclipse Version: 3.0.0
Build id: 200406251208, and EMF is version 2.0 the official build of 2004-06-28

When I start SDE-EC it displays the spash screen, but if I attempt to execute any other commands I see messages like, “An error has occurred when creating this view.”

I used the noinstall distribution of SDE-EC

Do the problems that I am encountering sound more like version incompatabilities or like a more troublesome configuration issue.

Thanks for any help that anyone can give.

same thing here! I have no idea what could cause this, but I won’t try to install Eclipse 3.0 to improve the situation, as it looks the same on your system.

Eclipse 2.1.3, Gentoo Linux.

Help, anyone?

Hi Andy, Large,

The SDE for Eclipse does not work in Linux at this point in time.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Martyn

To bad. We are planning to use SDE-EC in production environment on windows and linux (at least “modeller”).

Do you know if/when SDE-EC will be working again?

best regards,
Lars

Hi Large,

The problem is associated with Eclipse and the Sun due to some native functions in Swing which are yet to be supported in Linux (I think it has something to do with the windowing system which is holding Sun back).

Sun has said they would fix it in JDK 1.5 however, it doesn’t seem so in the beta 2. At the moment, if you require the SDE for Eclipse it has to be used in Windows. Alternatively, you could trial VP-UML Professional Edition which has Eclipse Integration - however does not have the nice feature of having the UML diagram and the code under the same VM.

Martyn

Same problem here: SuSE linux 9.1 + Eclipse RC3. Tried the community no-install version, didn’t work.I was directed here by a user group as well as eclipse-plugins website.

It would be nice to have this warning before downloading. If you can put it up on your download page, this will help many people. My apologies if you already have it there.

Bhaskar

martyn wrote:

The problem is associated with Eclipse and the Sun due to some
native functions in Swing which are yet to be supported in Linux
(I think it has something to do with the windowing system
which is holding Sun back).

Why do all the other tools work with Eclipse under SuSE Linux on my computer? I think it should be possible for a professional software development company to fix this problem.

Regards

Markus