Referencing classes in another VPUML project?

Perhaps I’m too used to MagicDraw, but in that application I used to import an MD project into another one, and if I reference any class from that project, I’ll clearly see that it’s the correct one. In VPUML, I tried to do this yesterday, and when I use a class from the referenced project, it looks like a completely new class, i.e. none of the operations or attributes are there! Am I doing something wrong? I used File -> Import -> VP-UML project.

Hi Dmatsumoto,

Sorry for my late response. By File > Import > VP-UML project, it will import all elements in the project file to your current project. And if the model elements in importing project are the same model elements in your current project, they will be merged. Otherwise, the model elements in importing project will become separate elements in current project.

If you want to reference to a model element in another project file but do not want to have a separate copy of the element, I suggest you use Reference to Model Element in External Project feature (File > Import > Linked Project). When you link current project to an external project, the model elements in external project can be dragged to your working diagram to visualize the model element. Please find more details about this feature from:
http://www.visual-paradigm.com/product/vpuml/provides/modelingtools.jsp#refprojectsmodel

Hope these help. Please feel free to ask if there is anything I can do to help.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

Hi Lilian,

Thanks for the reply. That’s basically what I want, but I don’t understand why changes to the linked project only get saved in the project that links to it. If I have Class B link to Class A in a linked project, when I change Class A in the Class B project, I want those changes to be saved in Class A’s project as well.

Thanks,
Dave

Hi Dmatsumoto,

Thanks for replying. If you visualize the referenced element from linked project (by dragging the element from Model Explorer), the referenced element should be unavailable for modification. If you need to make changes on referenced elements, you need to actually open the linked project to make change. After that, opening the main project will see your modification on the referenced element.

Would you mind to attach your project files (with the linked project as well), or send them to lilian.wong@visual-paradigm.com so I can take a look at your case? Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

P.S. Wish you a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!