Related Elements -> Show Other Views from sequence component

Hi,
I have several components used in component diagrams,
When I’m searching for the other views on which one of the component relates, VP gets the list of component diagrams. That is working as expected.

But, I also use these components in sequence diagrams. When I drop a component in a sequence diagram (as a life line) , VP creates an instance of that component.
So, searching for all diagrams on which the component relates doesn’t show the sequence diagrams.

To summarize, when a component is used in components diagrams and sequence diagrams, VP “Related Elements → Show Other Views” operation returns only the components diagrams view.
How to get all types of diagrams on which the component relates ?

Thank you,
Stephane

Hello Stephane,

Thank you for your post. The “Show Other Views” feature only lists the alternate views of a model element. For your case, the Lifeline and the Component are two separated model elements, that’s the Components are not being listed when you tried to find the other views of a lifeline. To support your need, you can perform the steps below:

1. Right click on the Lifeline and select Related Elements > Show Dependent Model Element from the popup menu.

2. Open the Model Transitor tab

3. Double click on the Component. You will be brought to its view

Hope this helps. Should you have any questions, please feel free to let us know.

Best regards,
Jick Yeung

Hello Jick,

Thank you for your answer.
It works well:

It could be nice to have the name of the related diagram beside the component.
In the case above, we see several instances of the same component in different diagrams but we have to browse them in order to find the correct one.

Thank you,
Stephane

Hi Jick,
hi Stephane,
A similar I have on the search for the master (or auxiliary) element (using the menu tree as under 1. shown). However, there seems to be no master element in existence. What is the possible reason?

Screenshot_20220121_123701
Screenshot_20220121_124237

After the unsuccessful search closing causes VP to really take exceptionally long to allow to work on or even forces to shut down the computer the “hard way”. Is that all the searched model elements are still in cache and need to be deleted one by one?

Many thanks and regards,

Ralf

Hi Ralf,

Thank you for your inquiry. To list and access the alternative views, please right-click on a shape and select Related Elements > Show Other VIews… instead (not “Show Dependent Model Elements”).

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Jick Yeung

Hi Jick,

Thanks a lot for your quick response. The proposed solution only leads to show the same diagram from which the copy is created (via Strg-e). The copy process even creates (within the copy) master elements (which in the original are auxiliary elements).

The reason for creating a copy of the diagram in the first place is to have a copy to make some additional changes without risking of corrupting the original.

Thanks again and best regards,
Ralf

… additional information on the auxiliary/master issue:

In the past there had been a Master with several auxiliary elements. This Master was deleted (on purpose) but the other elements (former auxiliary elements) got hold and further on reused in diagrams. This might be the reason to have elements marked with “a” (left corner) but no Master being found.

Hope that helps to clarify the issue described.

Best regards,
Ralf