Rename table column in ERD

To rename table column in Erwin (ER Embarcadero, Sybase PowerDesigner, etc.) we can rename it in the Physical Diagram and we get follow script:

1. rename old table
  2. create new table
  3. data insert from old table to new table take into account renaming column
  4. drop old table

Why the same function isn’t in DB Visual ARCHITECT?

Hi vinger4,

Thanks for your post. Currently we support generate script for 2) create new table, but for

1. rename old table
  2. data insert from old table to new table take into account renaming column
  3. drop old table
    they are not supported in current version (existing table/column will not be dropped, only create a new table/column in database).

But in coming release, i.e. DB-VA 5.1, we will support drop existing tables/columns. You can check “Include drop table/columns that not exist in ER model” when update the database (as attached image).
But if you rename existing table/column, we will drop the original table/column and create a new table/column in database (with the new entity name/column name on your ERD) - we will consider to alter name of table/column in database instead of drop old table/column and create new one.

I just sent you a private message with the link for release candidate (RC) build of VP Suite 4.1 (covers DB-VA 5.1), you can download the RC and try out the drop existing table/column function.

Hope these answer your question. Please do not hesitate to ask if there is any further question.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

check_include_drop.png

Hi!
Script is made in Oracle JDeveloper for rename the table column:
ALTER TABLE POINT_TXT
MODIFY (“Prim” CHAR(20 BYTE));
It’s better then 4 steps in Erwin or PowerDesigner!

Thanks for include drop table/column!

Hi Vinger4,

[quote=vinger4]Script is made in Oracle JDeveloper for rename the table column:
ALTER TABLE POINT_TXT
MODIFY (“Prim” CHAR(20 BYTE));
It’s better then 4 steps in Erwin or PowerDesigner![/quote]
You mean you expect the statement generated in RC of VP Suite 4.1 should be more simple?

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

I expect that the statement generated in RC of VP Suite 4.1 will use “Modify”

Hi Vinger4,

Thanks, I’ve passed this to our development team to consider.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

Hi, Lilian!
Will DDL-script generate with “Modify”-element in VP Suite 4.2 (on January 2010)?
TIA.
Eugeny.

Hi Vinger4,

Thanks for replying. I’m sorry that generating alter script for renamed tables and columns will not be supported in coming VP Suite 4.2 but we will support this in VP Suite 4.3 or later. I’ll keep you informed for any further news on this issue.

We apologize for the delay of this feature.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong