Report Engine - Report Template

Hi,

another question on how defining a report template.

i look at the previous post we explain how we can do :

• create a Word document with my template
  • create the directory in the right place
  • add the doc word, the image and create the report-templates.xml file
  • select it when starting the Report Writer.

To this point everyting is working good, the i have two troubles:

• how can i link the properties set in the dialog box with my template (as it is done in the basic Template for instance)
  • then i cannot add any UML element template, i have alway the following error :
    “Unable to create content block within a text section”

There is nothing specific in my word document (it was first generated by Report Engine, then i have suppressed all the context element, to keep only the template element).

Thanx for any trics to help us.

Arnaud.

Hi Arnaud,

Thanks for your post. For the troubles you have:

1. Link properties set in the dialog box
    You need to customize a template with position, font settings and style defined as you like and then add bookmarks for the properties (Company Name, Report Name, etc.).
    You can refer to the flash movie below of how to customize the properties in your own template by OpenOffice. Hope this helps!
    http://files2.visual-paradigm.com/200809/FlashDemo/customize_position_in_template.htm

2. Cannot add any UML element template
    May I know did you drag the template to the text table (see attached image) so getting the error message? If yes, this is normal. Maybe, if you don’t mind, you could tell me what do you want for doing this.
    If this is not your case, could you tell me more details of how you get this error?

Look forward to hearing your reply.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

drag_to_text_table.png

Thanks again,

I will look at your URL later.

For the second point, i havec defined my own report tempate in Word (with images and guard pages of my document) bu the first drag’n drop i try to add any UMl element, i have my error message, as if all my document was a Text element…

Hope this could help to explain me what have i made wrong.

Arnaud.

PS : if you want i can sendyou the report template

Well,

it appears that word doesn’t like “-” in the bookmark, when i write it, i cannot add any more the bookmark… :frowning:

Weel it works fine with OpenOffice.

For the last trouble it was a section that does not appear in word document, i can only suppress with OpenOffice (better to define templates).

Thanks for all.

Hi Arnaud,

Thanks for replying. For the problem of adding element template with error “Unable to create content block within a text section”, I tried import a Word document and then drag element templates to add to existing Word document. Unfortunately I cannot repeat your problem (except I drag the template to the text table, similar to my previous image), could you please send me a sample Word document and tell me detailed steps for repeating the problem? Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

I send you a mail with the incriminated template.

Hi Arnaud,

Thanks for replying and the file. I’ve forwarded the issue to our engineers to follow-up, and will notify you if I got any feedback.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

Hi Arnaud,

I would like to notify you that we fixed the problem of adding template to existing Word document, please download the patch below and see if it works fine:
http://files2.visual-paradigm.com/200811/Patch/20081026t/VP_Suite_Windows_3_4_20081026t.exe

Please feel free to contact me if there is anything I can do to help.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

I have had a trouble at installation :

package “orm.jar” could not install or copy.

Except this, it works fine.

Arnaud.

Hi Arnaud,

Thanks for replying. The path should be corrupted, please download latest patch from the following link and see if this works fine?
http://files2.visual-paradigm.com/200811/Patch/20081026v/VP_Suite_Windows_3_4_20081026v.exe

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

no trouble at install.

Arnaud

Hi Arnaud,

Sorry for my late reply. May I know is the problem of adding template to existing Word document solved with the patch?

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

Hi,

It works perfect, i can easily drap’n drop UML elements and diagrams in my Word Template.

But it is still better with Open Office as we cannot define links with the fields keyed in the dialog box in the Word template (word doesn’t accept the syntx “-” in its links definition (we call it signet in French - don’t rember the english word) ).

Arnaud.

Hi Arnaud,

Thanks for replying and it’s good to hear the news!

Best regards,
Lilian Wong