Report Generator settings for PDF and Word overwrite one another

Hi developers,

As far as I can see, the project’s Report Generator settings for PDF and HTML reports are saved inside the project, in the files properly named “Pdf_reportoptions.xml” and “HTML_reportoptions.xml”.

Unfortunately, the settings for Word report aren’t saved in its own file – they go into the “Pdf_reportoptions.xml” file, overwriting all previously saved PDF settings, particularly “Encoding”.

(BTW, it would be very convenient if the default report encoding settings were specified on the general settings tab, like a “user language” option.)

Nad

Hi Nad,

Thank you for your post. I’ve tried to repeat the problem of report generation settings but not successful. Would you mind giving me more details such as steps to repeat the problem? Thanks in advance!
(FYI, the settings are stored in project as well as workspace. If you open different projects in same workspace, it takes effect on the setting)

For the user language option (which can be found st Tools > Options… and then General > Appearance), it controls the UI only. But the encoding in report generation setting are the languages supported in report. There is no definite nor direct relationship between these two options.

If there are any inquiries, please feel free to contact me again.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

Hi Lilian,

Apparently, that was a false alarm. Thank you for trying that out, and sorry for your trouble.

Unfortunately, I don’t remember particular steps that led to the problem, and I haven’t retained the faulty project. But I saw with my own eyes how my Word report settings enclosed in the “” tag appeared in PDF_reportoptions.xml file in the project!

Haste makes waste. I had sent the message in a hurry instead of properly collecting all the facts.

Since then I can’t repeat the problem.

Sorry,

Nad

Hi Lilian,

Well, though I can’t reproduce the behavior specified in the “Subject” field, it seems I found another glitch.

The steps are as follows:

1. Open the project which has the settings for PDF and Word reports.
  2. Generate the Word report.
  3. Save and close the project, don’t exit from BPVA.
  4. Reopen the project (or open it again).
  5. Select Tools -> Report -> Generate PDF Report from menu.

Oops! – we see the settings for Word report (e.g. look at “Cover Page” and other tabs).

This is 100% reproducible. I even tried to remove the .vp.preference file from my workspace before starting BPVA – got the same effect.

Nad

Hi Nad,

Thanks for your details. Our engineers have fixed the report generation setting problem already, please download and try the patch in the following link.
http://files3.visual-paradigm.com/200804/Patch/sp1_20080311zh/Business_Process_Visual_ARCHITECT_Windows_2_2_sp1_20080311zh.exe
(FYI, this patch also include the fix of incorrect work in Subversion, which you posted in http://forums.visual-paradigm.com/posts/list/2966.html)

I hope it helps solving your problem. If there are any further inquiries, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

Hi Lilian,

I confirm that your latest patch fixed the problem with Report Generator.
Thank you very much.

Nad

Hi Nad,

You are welcome. If you need any help in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong