Report writer

Hi,

A) When I create a UseCase(Textual Scenario Description) with more than 9 steps and publish it with the “report writer”, it sorts the steps alphabetically and so they displayed wrong:

Steps | user action | system response
10 (this should be on the bottom)

B) Is there a way to hide the (sub)titles that the “report writer” generates?

There are a lot of problems with the generated titles, I rather disable them. Some of the many examples: I don’t like the diagram-prefix etc, and would like to use another kind of heading instead of “heading (VP)” so it would number correctly.

Best regards,
Marqui

Hi Marqui,

Thanks for your post. For A, I’ve forward the issue to our engineers to follow-up. I’ll come back to you once there is any feedback.

For B, you can customize the templates inside VPSuite/resources/Report/Default in order to remove the unwanted (sub)titles. You can also change the style of text in the template file.
BTW, you can add your own template to the VPSuite/resources/Report/Default folder to fit your needs on the report contents. More details about customize model template can be found from:
http://oldresources.visual-paradigm.com/vpsuite3.2/enhanced_report_writer.html#customizable_model_templates

Hope this helps, please feel free to ask if there is anything I can help.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

Hi Marqui,

I would like to let you know that we fixed the order of Flow of Event in Report Writer, please run “VP Suite Update” inside VPSuite/bin folder to update your product to VP-UML 7.0 SP1 (we just released it). Please let me know if there is anything I can help.

FYI, you can get details about new features and enhancements of VP-UML 7.0 SP1 from the following link:
http://www.visual-paradigm.com/news/vpsuite40sp1/vpuml70sp1.jsp

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

Hi Lilian - I’m not clear on the solution to this?

I would like to modify the HTML output of a class diagram report so that for each:

Class only the Documentation and Stereotypes are displayed;
Attribute only the documentation and Multiplicity are displayed.

Additionally it would be very useful within the attribute block to be able to show the type with tagged values. If you can send me an example of how to iterate through a class, attribute and type then I should be able to write my own report…

Many thanks

Toby

To clarify:

<Classes>
    <Class>
        <Documentation/>
        <Stereotypes/>
        <Attributes>
            <Attribute>
                <Documentation/>
                <Multiplicity/>
                <Type>
                    <Documentation/>
                    <Stereotype/>
                    <TaggedValues>
                        <TaggedValue>
                            <type/>
                            <value/>
                        </TaggedValue>
                     </TaggedValues>
                </Type>
            </Attribute>    
        </Attributes>
    </Class>
</Classes>

Where Classes, Attributes and TaggedValues are for-each loops.

Hope this helps (not sure that it does…)

T

Hi Toby,

Thanks for your post. I’ve forwarded your requirements of Report Writer details to our engineers to follow-up, and I’ll come back to you once there is any feedback.

BTW, we are sorry that HTML report generation (Tools > Report > Generate HTML Report) does not support customization of report output down to properties level. Currently we only support generate the model element or not.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

Thanks Lilian - does the pdf writer support a better degree of customization? Having created a number of models for a client I am trying to find the best way to publish the output.

Many thanks

Toby

Hi Toby,

Thanks for replying. Currently you can select which diagrams, which elements in diagram (see attached “select_element_to_generate.png”), what details of elements, and some other general options for HTML/PDF/Word report generation (switch to Options tab to select). We do not support customization down to property level of elements, I’m sorry about this.

For better customization, you can use the Report Writer, which allows you add customized report template[/url], also [url=http://resource.visual-paradigm.com/vpsuite3.2/enhanced_report_writer.html#customizable_model_templates]add customized model/project template to generate the properties of elements in the document, then you can export the document to MS Word format.

At the same time, our engineers prepared a sample project template of Report Writer, so you can generate the classes, attributes and tagged values of all classes within a project file. Please place the attached “ClassesDetails.xml” to VPSuite/resources/Report/Default/VPProject folder, then start Report Writer and select the project node, you will be able to generate the details as shown as “sample.png”

Hope these help. Please do not hesitate to contact me if there is any further inquiry.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

select_element_to_generate.png

sample.png
ClassesDetails.xml

Slight problem in as much as I use a Mac - I will try it in VM ware because as far as I know you do not support Report Writer under OSX.

Just running it now - I’d forgotten how slow windows is…

On the upside, the output looks to be what I want! Many thanks Lilian…

Hi Toby,

We are sorry that we support Report Writer on Windows only.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong