Requiements Diagram : Use Case <<refine>> Requirement

I’m trying to have a <> relationship between a requirement and an use case. Does anyone know how to do this? I get the Red No-Smoking circle anytime I try. In fact, the only thing I can seem to get <> to work with is the generic “model” element on the Requirement Diagram. It is my understanding that <> should be able to associate any type of model element with a requirement element.

Hello Mvinca,

The <> relationship is specific design for SysML, and it cannot be used with use case. In fact, the relationship between use case and requirement should be a kind of elaboration rather then refinement. I suggest you can use our Model Transitor to model this relationship. Our Model Transitor allows you to link up the model, and represent their trace. You can create Transitor from Use Case to Requirement to represent requirement is generated by the use case. Details about Model Transitor can be found at http://www.visual-paradigm.com/product/vpuml/provides/modelingtools.jsp#modeltransitor

Feel free to contact me if you require any further information.

Best regards,
Rain Wong

I appreciate your work around. That will be useful. However, I disagree with your opening statement. You seem to imply that since <> is SysML specific, it cannot be used with an use case. However, Use Case is in the UML4SysML subset of UML and therefore is also considered a SysML model type. <> is supposed to be able to link any SysML model type to a requirement.

Thanks for replying. Currently our Use Case diagram is pure on UML and not yet cover the SysML part. We will enhance this in the future. Feel free to contact me if you need any help.

Best regards,
Rain Wong