Requirements enumeration - additional 'Type' fields?

Is there any way to add to the number of requirements attributes (‘Types’)in Agilian?

Alternatively, is there any way to access the requirements data set from outside Agilian to extend these definitions in an external environment?

Also, is there any way to import objects into Agilian - i.e. requirements from a separate database, text file, XML file, etc?

Thanks & regards

Keith…

Hello Keith,

Thank you for your post. Let me answer your questions one by one.

Is there any way to add to the number of requirements attributes (‘Types’)in Agilian?

Do you mean the values available to be used as kind, verifyMethod and risk? If so, you can add more values yourself by selecting Tools > Configure Requirement Enumerations from the main menu, and then add the values in the Configure Requirement Enumerations dialog box.

Alternatively, is there any way to access the requirements data set from outside Agilian to extend these definitions in an external environment?

Are you looking for interoperability functions? I invite you try the XML exporting feature. Select File > Export > XML… and output an XML file for your requirement diagram. You can read the XML in an external application to access the requirements data defined in Agilian.

Also, is there any way to import objects into Agilian - i.e. requirements from a separate database, text file, XML file, etc?

By following the step above, you obtained an XML. You can edit that XML file, and eventually import that back into Agilian. If the data in the XML is correct, you will be able to update the requirement diagram from the XML.

Best regards,
Jick

Hi Jick,

Thanks for the response but I think I need to clarify my first question. I am comfortable with the process to change and/or extend the values of the existing 3 attributes (but thanks anyway for the reminder).

My need is to increase the number of attributes that I can apply to requirements, e.g. ‘rationale’ as a second text field & ‘Status’ as a pick-list to manage the requirements verification cycle. My ideal solution would be to extend the Requirements Enumeration ‘database’ within Agilian.

If this is not possible, then I either need to manage a separate Requirements database, (which defeats the object of buying Agilian overBusiness Process Visual Architect) with manual synchronisation.

A slightly better alternative would be to have Agilian hold the core Requirements model (& relationships to other models & diagrams) but extend the definitions in a separate ‘requirements management system’. This leads to my second & third questions, which should have been about where to find the XML specification documentation for the Export & Import features, not where in the menu these functions sit.

Perhaps you know of an environment where the Requirements aspects of Agilian inter-work via XML with a requirements management system, such as OSRMT (http://sourceforge.net/projects/osrmt) or similar?

I hope this clarifies the need & maybe helps to identify a solution?

Thanks & regards

Keith…

Hello clarkey,

Sorry for misunderstanding your need. We think that your need make sense. We will consider supporting it. We hope that this will be available in the second half of this year. I will inform you once it is available.

If you want to export the model data to a format that is recognizable by the other requirement database, XML is of course a choice. But have you heard about our plugin support? You can write plugin to access the model data and export to the format you need. I wonder if this is more suitable to you case.

More about plugin:
http://www.visual-paradigm.com/documentation/#extend

Concerning the XML, I regret to say we do not have any specification at the moment. But you can find the schema at $vp-suite-install-dir/bundled/project.xsd

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Jick

Hi Jick,

Thanks for this - I will look at the xml file & plug-in documentation to see if, as a non-developer, I can make something work(!)

Kind regards

Keith…

Hello Keith,

Do not worry, we can work together to make things work.

Best regards,
Jick

[quote=clarkey]Hi Jick,

Thanks for this - I will look at the xml file & plug-in documentation to see if, as a non-developer, I can make something work(!)

Kind regards

Keith… [/quote]

Please, did you get any solution for requirement management? Thank you very much.

Hi Castoluis,

Unfortunately, as I don’t have the technical capabilities to even understand the documentation for the plug-in & xml standards, there’s no way I can create an integrated environment.

So, I’m using a separate requirements management system & manually synchronising specific requirements to requirement diagram elements within Agilian, to get the linkage to business processes. (I manually update the Agilian requirement’s ID & pasting the title & text areas - not ideal but I have little choice).

For requirements management, I looked at OSRMT, which looks good for the price (free!) but all the documentation is for a Windows intallation & I couldn’t get it working on OSX. I’m back with my trusty Excel flat file for the moment, as my project couldn’t wait any longer!

Good luck!

Keith…