Requirements management feature wishlist

Hello Jick,

we would like to document many more information inside our requirement models:

• project vision, short description, project budget, essential dates and milestones (project element with a table view of dates)
  • list of stakeholders including project influence and interest ratings (table view)
  • stakeholder goals, business needs - when asked what the system should do (meeting protocol text should be reusable as textual analysis for requirements)
  • business and system use cases should link to requirements
  • create a project glossary - when defining a class, there should be a tag “glossary”, that gets read when the (new) “glossary report” is opened
  • prioritize requirement lists, which are concluded from UseCases and domain model, stakeholder wishes and project goals
  • define testCases for requirements
  • now start modeling classes, tables etc. using UML and then switch to coding …
  • later in the project, I would like to add elements indicating maintenance tasks, new feature issues, bug reports and associate them with model elements

After rethinking, the feature list gets reduced to these wishes:
a) please add an element “project definition” to the requirement diagram
b) please add an element “stakeholder” to the requirement diagram
c) In the requirements diagram, there should not be a single “requirement” element, but some stereotypes such as: “goal”, “need”, “feature”, "requirement"
d) Beside “requirements”, there should be a (new) maintenance element in the requirement diagram toolbox - stereotypes: “defect”, “new requirement” and “idea”

I could also imagine to reuse the textual analysis diagram for extracting requirements, needs, goals, stakeholders out of the text (textual analysis is already reused for Process extraction and UseCase extraction).

Finally, maintenance objects should be synchronized with Bugzilla or Trac-tasks, so users can enter and monitor their wishes within an external tracking system.

( Please excuse me, if this is the wrong to post such a request :oops: )

Regards
Bernd

Here is an example of an OpenSource RequirementsManagement Tool, which shows the structure of Stakeholders, Requirements and their relations.

Regards
Bernd

Hi Bernd,

Thank you for your suggestions. I have forwarded your posts to our team for further feasibility studies. Once there is any feedback, I will let you know.

Best regards,
Jick

Dear Bernd,

First of all, thank you for your valuable suggestions. Actually, VP is heading to similar direction to provide full software development lifecycle platform from requirement management to maintenance. We are now providing media for understanding and documenting requirements and we will extend our tool to cover the management of requirements later on.

Regarding your wishes. I have few suggestions:
a) please add an element “project definition” to the requirement diagram
- I suggest you add a Note or Text to the Requirement Diagram to show the definition

b) please add an element "stakeholder" to the requirement diagram
- I suggest you put the stakeholder to the Use Case Diagram. Use Case Diagram is a very good tool to relate functional requirements and stakeholders who is benefit on specific requirement

c) In the requirements diagram, there should not be a single "requirement" element, but some stereotypes such as: "goal", "need", "feature", "requirement"
- You can define your own stereotypes to fit your needs. By the way, you can also specify some presentation properties to stereotypes to enhance the readability of your Requirement Diagram. I have prepared a flash demo to show you how to customize stereotypes with various presentation properties. Please see the demo in following URL:
  http://files4.visual-paradigm.com/200707/Angus/FlashDemo/CustomizeStereotype.html

d) Beside "requirements", there should be a (new) maintenance element in the requirement diagram toolbox - stereotypes: "defect", "new requirement" and "idea"
- I think the stereotypes customization can help

Best regards,
Angus Chan

Hello angus,

thank you for the flash movie. The configuration features are superb !
Is there a possibility to mount those stereotypes onto the toolbox, so if I create new requirements with these self designed stereotypes, I could create them from a quick link at the toolbox ?

Regards
Bernd

Dear Bernd,

Currently we don’t support add customized item to toolbar. I remember it is in our roadmap already. I will keep you post for any progress of this feature. Have a nice day.

Best regards,
Angus Chan