Reverse Database Problem - Oracle 9i

Hi.

I am trying to get the ERD for my Oracle 9.0.1.2.0 schema. I am using the latest VP Suite 1.1, DB Visual Arch 1.0. The problem I have is that “reverse” program imports non-existing columns. Check the screenshot.

Tried different jdbc drivers from oracle, 9i, 8i. Also tried different oracle instances on 9i and 10g. Always the same.

Do you have an idea why this is happening. The tool seems to be nice but this problem is a definite showstopper.

Thanks.

Dan

VP-DB-Problem.gif

Dear Dan,

We are sorry for any inconvenience this problem caused you. Would you please send me the vp.log file? The log file can obtained by open the about dialog and press the Export log file button. Or if possible, can you also send me a sample schema which will cause this problem? You can upload the files to this forum or directly sent to my email address:
rain@visual-paradigm.com.
Thanks in advance!

Hi Rain.

I cannot upload the schema to you as it is confidential. But I think I found out what the problem is.

Try creating two users in the same oracle instance, who will obviously have two separate schemas. Try creating several tables with the same names in both schemas. And then try importing one of the schemas through the reverse database process. You should see the extra columns. I assume that the number of extra columns is double the real number.

Of course those two users should have privileges to access each other’s schema objects. The problem is reproducable like this.

Thanks for the help.

Dan

Oh, sorry, about the vp.log file. There is nothing reported in it, aside from the startup message. One line:
[Wed May 04 15:02:15 EDT 2005]: Start DB Visual Architect [DBVA]: 1.0 (20050422h)

Dan

Thanks for your help. Our engineers is now investigating the problem. I’ll come back to you for any news on this issue.

Dear Dan,

The duplicated columns problem has been fixed and we will deploy a hot fix very soon. I’ll notify you once the fix was deployed. Thank you for your help.

Best regards,
Rain

Thank you for the quick response. I will be checking this thread from time to time.
Actually I just logged so I should be notified on the new posts to this thread.

Thanks.

Dan

Dear Dan,

Thanks for your information and the reverse “non existing columns” on Oracle DB has been fixed. I’ll send you a hot fix version right now. Please check your private message for how to download the hot fix version. If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us again.

Best regards,
Rain

I have downloaded the fixed version of the suite and reverse database utility seems to be working properly now. No duplicated columns :slight_smile:

I really appreciate your quick response on this. Thank you.

Cheers,
Dan

Dear Dan,

I’m glad to hear that the hot fix solved your problem. Usually our hot fix will become the formal release after couple of days. If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us again.

Best regards,
Rain