Reverse Engineering for sequence diagram

Hi,

i have downloaded the latest trial verion of VP, and search for code
reverse engineering for sequence diagram in prof/Enterprise editions.

Are you supporting this feature?

regards,
Sharath.

Dear Sharath,

This feature is not yet available.

Regards,

Antony.

When will this feature be available ? I have been evaluating MDA tools (with roundtrip code generation/documentation) and being able to produce sequence diagrams from existing code is a mandatory requirement. I struggle to understand how such a ‘good’ toolset (albeit slow) is missing what many people like myself consider to be mandatory functionality. I have seen many ‘free’ simple pluggins implement this functionality so why not VP-SDE!

The code visualization via sequence diagram is critical also for our evaluation.

r.

[quote=Anonymous]The code visualization via sequence diagram is critical also for our evaluation.

r.[/quote] :frowning:

The code engineering on sequence diagram/state diagram are now in the early stage of the development. Any news about this issue will be announced in this forum. Thanks.

as a leading architect of a global german credite institude i evaluated the tool. the missing reengineering functionality of sequence diagrames (Java and C++) is the reason why i delayed my desicion which UML tool to use.

But since I have to decide in the near future, a release date would help me a lot.

many greets to the community,
mario

Dear Mario,

I’m sorry that I cannot tell you the schedule at this moment. I’ll give you more information after I’ve talk to our engineers. If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us again.

Best regards,
Rain

What is the current status of this feature? I am looking for a tool that provides good support for visualizing existing code in sequence diagrams as well as class diagrams. It would help a lot for (new) developers to see what the code does without going through the actual source code line by line.

Best regards,
Teemu Hiltunen

Hello Teemu,

We are going to support reverse Java source code into sequence diagram in the coming VP Suite 5.0 (next month). This feature will be supported in the Professional Edition or above. Stay tune and more information will come very soon.

Best regards,
Rain

Can you tell me if, and if not when, this also applies for .NET source code? Thank you.

Hello Silva IT,

I’m sorry that currently we only support reverse Java source code to sequence diagram.

Best regards,
Rain

I’m glad that VP now have this new feature for reverse-engineering Java source code into sequence diagrams. BUT, I still would like to see it improved to produce sequence diagrams from dynamic code instead of static - as to describe what really happens in run-time. It would be really nice to ask VP to run eg. a JUnit test and from that it would generate a sequence diagram.

Are there any plans for this kind of feature in Visual Paradigm?

[quote=teehilt1]I’m glad that VP now have this new feature for reverse-engineering Java source code into sequence diagrams. BUT, I still would like to see it improved to produce sequence diagrams from dynamic code instead of static - as to describe what really happens in run-time. It would be really nice to ask VP to run eg. a JUnit test and from that it would generate a sequence diagram.

Are there any plans for this kind of feature in Visual Paradigm?[/quote]

Hi, is there any information about supporting this dynamic reverse-engineering of running code in VP?

For the moment we have no plan to support dynamic reverse engineering, but sure we will consider this in the future.

Best regards,
Rain