Same table name in different SQL schema?

Hi,

I’m evaluating DB Visual Architect and find it interesting, but I do have some questions.

I’m using MS SQL 2005 schemas to better “group” my tables. Doing so, I have two tables in different schemas using the same name. For exemple : “Clients.Accounts” and “Accounting.Accounts”.

When doing reverse database engineering, only one table is imported. Trying to manually recreate the second table is impossible as DBVA seems to detect that the table name is already in use without considering the different schema name.

Is this a bug or a feature ?

In the Class diagram, I thought that schemas would be converted to namespaces, but it doesn’t seem to be the case. Any reason why?

Lastly, an option for displaying schema-qualified names in the ERD would be useful in the above situation…

Thanks,

Dominic.

1 Like

Same problem here… The only way i figured out to resolve the problem was changing the table names. :frowning:

[quote=dstj]Hi,

I’m evaluating DB Visual Architect and find it interesting, but I do have some questions.

I’m using MS SQL 2005 schemas to better “group” my tables. Doing so, I have two tables in different schemas using the same name. For exemple : “Clients.Accounts” and “Accounting.Accounts”.

When doing reverse database engineering, only one table is imported. Trying to manually recreate the second table is impossible as DBVA seems to detect that the table name is already in use without considering the different schema name.

Is this a bug or a feature ?

In the Class diagram, I thought that schemas would be converted to namespaces, but it doesn’t seem to be the case. Any reason why?

Lastly, an option for displaying schema-qualified names in the ERD would be useful in the above situation…

Thanks,

Dominic.[/quote]

Hi users,

Sorry for my late response to this issue. I’ve forwarded the issue to our engineers to follow-up. If there is any feedback, I’ll come back to you immediately.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

9 months isn’t exactly what I call “late”, but better late than never… :slight_smile:

Thanks for bumping this topic up a notch.

dstj

Hi users,

I would like to let you know that in the coming release, we will enhance reversing database feature that entities with same name but different schemas will not be treated as entity update.
Upon reversing, it will automatically create package by schema name and move the entity into the package. And if the schema property matches, it will treat as updating entity during reverse.

Once the release is available, I’ll come back to you immediately.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

Hi users,

We are very sorry that we implemented to support reversing same name but different schemas tables to packages, but it’s not deployed to our application. Our development team will deploy the implementation soon and will perform some tests on this features.
I’ll keep you posted with any further news on this issue.

We apologize for the delay of this feature!

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

Is something new about this issue?

Thank you
Pavel Duron

Hi Pavel,

Thank you for your post. Let me check with our developers first. I will get back to you as fast as I can.

Best regards,
Jick Yeung

Hi Pavel,

I am glad to inform you that the feature has been released. When you reverse the database with schema, packages would be created accordingly to store the reversed entities.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Jick Yeung

But I need to create a design in ERD entities with the same name but in different schemas. Not possible. Error: "Name used by another entity (erd).

Hi Pavel,

I’ve forwarded your reply to our engineers to study. When there is any news, I will let you know.

Best regards,
Jick Yeung

Hi Pavel,

You can create multiple ERDs for different schemas. When the ERDs are placed in different (schema) packages, there will be no problem when using same names.

Best regards,
Jick Yeung

OK if I understand correctly, it is necessary to insert the entity into a new package and it is not enough just to set a different schema in the entity definition.

Hi Pavel,

You are right. Please create packages for different schema (We do not support having elements in same names under the same parent element)

Best regards,
Jick Yeung

1 Like

Please add an option to treat the combination “schema name”."element name"as a unique name for ERDs instead of just the “element name” for the same package. I’m aware that VP is not primarily a DB modeling tool but it kind of sucks when one cannot distinguish entities with the same name by schema in the same package (ie db)