Save problems with SDE .net

Hello,

We are evaluating the SDE.NET application and have been having problems with saving the models. We are saving throughout application usage using the “Save Project (UML)” option in the file menu, plus we are using the “Save All” option. But, when closing the .net environment and re-opening, all previously saved work has gone!!

Has anyone had this problem?

Is there are solution?

We are running the .net 2003 environment on Windows XP professional.

Thanks,
Simon.

Hi Simon,

Could you please attach the vp.log file which should be in the Visual Paradigm SDE folder so we can have a look into it.

Cheers.

Martyn

Martyn,

Heres the log file as requested.

Cheers,
Simon.
vp.log

Same here.

I just lost 3 hours of work! The bad thing is the SDE tool never complained and supposedly saved all the work. I also did Save As… just in case into a backup folder. Then closed the VS.NET.

Later, when reopened the VS, there were no files with my diagram to be found in either the main project folder or the backup folder. None. No temp files anywhere either. This really sucks!!!

Greg.

Dear Greg,

We are sorry for any inconvenience this problem caused you. Could you mind telling me the detail spec. of you working environment? And if possible, could be please send me the vp.log file? The vp.log file can be located under the %VP Suite Installation dir%/visualstudio directory.

Under the VS project directory, there should be a folder named “vpproject”. You should be able to found some backup of you work named like “.vpp~1”. You can rename it back to .vpp. Then SDE will open the renamed project file.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us again.

Best regards,
Rain

Rain, where do I send the log files? Here?
Well, here is an attached log.

Notice that I was using the Community Edition of SDE. I’ve since then uninstalled the SDE and want to try to reinstall and try it in Pro mode.

Thanks, Greg.
sdevs.log
vp.log

OK, I reinstalled the SDE, turned on the Pro option instead of CE.

Good news: after I loaded the project I was working on, magically, all my “lost” diagrams appeared! It looks like my diagrams are back. I have no clue where it was saved, but it was somewhere.

Bad news: OK, right away I want to save the damn .VPD file somewhere because I just want to have it saved. But SDE does not save. It does not complain, but I see no file in the folder where I just saved it, or so I think. I have no idea what is going on. :shock:

Here is a chunk of vp.log, btw, since the today’s reinstallation. The entire log is about 1 Mb at this point. Greg

[Wed May 18 09:45:55 CDT 2005]: Start Smart Development Environment Professional Edition for Visual Studio [SDE PE-VS]: 2.1 (20050422n)
No JNI Library 8
[ Wed May 18 09:45:57 CDT 2005]: Start Smart Development Environment Professional Edition for Visual Studio [SDE PE-VS]: 2.1 (20050422n)
[Wed May 18 09:46:49 CDT 2005]: Start Smart Development Environment Professional Edition for Visual Studio [SDE PE-VS]: 2.1 (20050422n)
No JNI Library 8
[ Wed May 18 09:46:51 CDT 2005]: Start Smart Development Environment Professional Edition for Visual Studio [SDE PE-VS]: 2.1 (20050422n)
[Wed May 18 09:50:11 CDT 2005]: Start Smart Development Environment Professional Edition for Visual Studio [SDE PE-VS]: 2.1 (20050422n)
No JNI Library 8
[ Wed May 18 09:50:14 CDT 2005]: Start Smart Development Environment Professional Edition for Visual Studio [SDE PE-VS]: 2.1 (20050422n)
java.lang.NullPointerException
at v.mmy.f(:444)
at v.mmy.i(:432)
at v.C.a(:14)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
at v.afy.i(:80)
at v.afy.i(:61)
at v.bzf.f(:180)
at v.bzf.i(:242)
at RV.main(:470)

<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>
<< miss persistance code model, but ignore to prepare codemodel from uml model >>
<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>
<< miss persistance code model, but ignore to prepare codemodel from uml model >>
at v.fzr.i(:83)
at v.dun.f(:26)
at v.uwy.f(:31)
at v.sqa.i(:815)
at v.qof.i(:518)
at v.qof.i(:486)
at v.qof.i(:257)
at v.qof.i(:209)
at v.qof.i(:186)
at v.jof.i(:101)
at v.jof.i(:210)
at v.bfr.d(:138)
at v.bfr.i(:318)
at v.opg.m(:57)
at v.dxt.f(:71)
at v.cey.run(:137)
at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)

at v.cey.run(

OK, I had enough of this. Tried to print the diagram - it took forever. I finally cancelled the job. It locked the VS alltogether (thank you, Java Print…, why not use the .NET system???). Finally killed the javaw in sys procs, just could not get to the VS anymore.

Now I loaded the VS again, opened the project. All is gone again.

I had enough. 1 day of work is basically wasted.

Why try to integrate Java with .NET? Just write it in .NET and forget the java thing. :shock:

Thanks for your log files. Our engineers are now investigating the problem. Any progress on this issue will be posted in this forum. If there are any further questions, please feel free to contact us again.

Best regards,
Rain

For the saving issue, our engineers think that should be related to some “path” problem. Could you mind telling me how do you start up the Visual Studio and SDE (detailed steps)?

And about the printing, could you mind telling me the scale of your project? Or if possible, could you please send me a sample project which will cause the problem? You can send to my email address: rain@visual-paradigm.com

Thanks in advance!

I’ve sent you an email.
Thanks, Greg

We have identified the null pointer exception posted is not related to any save project and memory problem. It was fixed and a hotfix will release very soon.

[quote=Anonymous]Here is a chunk of vp.log, btw, since the today’s reinstallation. The entire log is about 1 Mb at this point. Greg

[Wed May 18 09:45:55 CDT 2005]: Start Smart Development Environment Professional Edition for Visual Studio [SDE PE-VS]: 2.1 (20050422n)
No JNI Library 8
[ Wed May 18 09:45:57 CDT 2005]: Start Smart Development Environment Professional Edition for Visual Studio [SDE PE-VS]: 2.1 (20050422n)
[Wed May 18 09:46:49 CDT 2005]: Start Smart Development Environment Professional Edition for Visual Studio [SDE PE-VS]: 2.1 (20050422n)
No JNI Library 8
[ Wed May 18 09:46:51 CDT 2005]: Start Smart Development Environment Professional Edition for Visual Studio [SDE PE-VS]: 2.1 (20050422n)
[Wed May 18 09:50:11 CDT 2005]: Start Smart Development Environment Professional Edition for Visual Studio [SDE PE-VS]: 2.1 (20050422n)
No JNI Library 8
[ Wed May 18 09:50:14 CDT 2005]: Start Smart Development Environment Professional Edition for Visual Studio [SDE PE-VS]: 2.1 (20050422n)
at v.mmy.f(:444)
at v.mmy.i(:432)
at v.C.a(:14)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
at v.afy.i(:80)
at v.afy.i(:61)
at v.bzf.f(:180)
at v.bzf.i(:242)
at RV.main(:470)

<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>
<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>

at v.cey.run([/quote]

Some tips about saving project

You can press the File > Save SDE-VS Project to save the UML project. After you have save the project, should be able to find the project file (.vpp) and the project backup file (.vpp~X where X is the backup number) under the “vpproject” directory inside your project. If you want to save the project as another file, you can go to the Solution Explorer, right click on the project and choose SDE-VS Project > Export SDE-VS Project…

Some tips about printing diagrams

Working with a small set of models in a diagram is really a good workaround for the memory problem. Besides this approach, scale down the diagram during printing can also speed up the printing and reduce memory consumption. Consider a diagram with dimension 2800 * 2500. For the normal printing (scale ratio 100%, split the diagram across multiple pages), it takes 28 page and take really quite a long time to print. But if it scales to 50%, it just takes 8 pages and the printing time will be much faster. Although it is not a good way to solve the problem but can act as a temporary workaround. In fact, we have some enhancement made address to the memory and printing issue in the new version. For example, allow to print the diagram without rendering the previews. The new version is now in the final testing stage and should be release within 2 months.

The problem is not saving the project, but the diagram itself!
you save the project, but when u reopen it there is no diagram.
the diagram gets save nowwhere!

The only solution I have found is to use visio: it sucks, but at least it let me save my work…

Thank you for your message. Could you mind send me your vp.log file to have a look? You can find vp.log file inside the visualstudio directory of VP Suite. And if possible, could you mind also send me your project? Please send it to rain@visual-paradigm.com directly. Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Rain