SDE 4.1 for Eclipse 3.3 (Europa) - doesn't start

I use a fresh installation of Eclipse Europa (with JDK 6.0), and of SDE 4.1 Community Edition. Installation was so far without problems, but at the start-up I see the attached errors in the log file. And SDE is then not available in Eclipse.
Are there any ideas, how to solve the problem?

Regards,
Karl

!SESSION 2007-10-05 06:55:19.619 -----------------------------------------------
eclipse.buildId=M20070921-1145
java.version=1.6.0_03
java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
BootLoader constants: OS=win32, ARCH=x86, WS=win32, NL=de_CH
Command-line arguments: -os win32 -ws win32 -arch x86 -clean

!ENTRY org.eclipse.core.runtime 4 2 2007-10-05 06:55:50.834
!MESSAGE Problems encountered starting up plug-in: “org.osgi.framework.BundleException: The activator com.vp.vpsde.ec.VPSDEECPlugin for bundle com.vp.vpsde.ec is invalid”.
!STACK 0
org.osgi.framework.BundleException: The activator com.vp.vpsde.ec.VPSDEECPlugin for bundle com.vp.vpsde.ec is invalid
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.AbstractBundle.loadBundleActivator(AbstractBundle.java:141)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleContextImpl.start(BundleContextImpl.java:970)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleHost.startWorker(BundleHost.java:346)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.AbstractBundle.start(AbstractBundle.java:260)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.runtime.InternalPlatform.start(InternalPlatform.java:877)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.plugins.PluginDescriptor.doPluginActivation(PluginDescriptor.java:360)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.plugins.PluginDescriptor.getPlugin(PluginDescriptor.java:340)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.EarlyStartupRunnable.getPluginForCompatibility(EarlyStartupRunnable.java:149)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.EarlyStartupRunnable.run(EarlyStartupRunnable.java:73)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.SafeRunner.run(SafeRunner.java:37)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench$54.run(Workbench.java:2190)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:55)
Caused by: org.eclipse.swt.SWTException: Invalid thread access
at org.eclipse.swt.SWT.error(SWT.java:3563)
at org.eclipse.swt.SWT.error(SWT.java:3481)
at org.eclipse.swt.SWT.error(SWT.java:3452)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.error(Display.java:1137)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.checkDevice(Display.java:666)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.addFilter(Display.java:517)
at v.svs.i(:110)
at com.vp.vpsde.ec.VPSDEECPlugin.(:112)
at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Class.newInstance0(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.AbstractBundle.loadBundleActivator(AbstractBundle.java:136)
… 15 more
Root exception:
org.eclipse.swt.SWTException: Invalid thread access
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.AbstractBundle.loadBundleActivator(AbstractBundle.java:136)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleContextImpl.start(BundleContextImpl.java:970)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleHost.startWorker(BundleHost.java:346)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.AbstractBundle.start(AbstractBundle.java:260)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.runtime.InternalPlatform.start(InternalPlatform.java:877)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.plugins.PluginDescriptor.doPluginActivation(PluginDescriptor.java:360)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.plugins.PluginDescriptor.getPlugin(PluginDescriptor.java:340)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.EarlyStartupRunnable.getPluginForCompatibility(EarlyStartupRunnable.java:149)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.EarlyStartupRunnable.run(EarlyStartupRunnable.java:73)

!ENTRY org.eclipse.ui 4 4 2007-10-05 06:55:50.837
!MESSAGE Unhandled Exception

!ENTRY com.vp.vpsde.ec 4 0 2007-10-05 06:55:50.837
!MESSAGE Unable to execute early startup code for an extension
!STACK 0
java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
Caused by: org.eclipse.core.runtime.CoreException: Problems encountered starting up plug-in: “org.osgi.framework.BundleException: The activator com.vp.vpsde.ec.VPSDEECPlugin for bundle com.vp.vpsde.ec is invalid”.
at org.eclipse.core.internal.plugins.PluginDescriptor.throwException(PluginDescriptor.java:296)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.plugins.PluginDescriptor.doPluginActivation(PluginDescriptor.java:362)
… 9 more
Root exception:
org.eclipse.core.runtime.CoreException: Problems encountered starting up plug-in: “org.osgi.framework.BundleException: The activator com.vp.vpsde.ec.VPSDEECPlugin for bundle com.vp.vpsde.ec is invalid”.
at org.eclipse.core.internal.plugins.PluginDescriptor.throwException(PluginDescriptor.java:296)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.plugins.PluginDescriptor.doPluginActivation(PluginDescriptor.java:362)
org.eclipse.core.runtime.CoreException[2]: org.osgi.framework.BundleException: The activator com.vp.vpsde.ec.VPSDEECPlugin for bundle com.vp.vpsde.ec is invalid
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.AbstractBundle.loadBundleActivator(AbstractBundle.java:141)
Caused by: org.eclipse.swt.SWTException: Invalid thread access
… 15 more

!ENTRY org.eclipse.ui 4 4 2007-10-05 06:55:50.838
!MESSAGE Bad extension specification

!ENTRY com.vp.vpsde.ec 4 0 2007-10-05 06:55:50.838
!MESSAGE startup class must implement org.eclipse.ui.IStartup

Hello Karl99X,

Thank you for your post. How did you start SDE-EC? Please provide me with your steps. Thank you in advance!

Best regards,
Jick

I tried 2 different ways:

• start the Eclipse launcher eclipse.exe
  • start the VP launcher run_sdeec.exe

Result is always the same.

Now I tried also Eclipse 3.2.2 with JRE 5.0 - still the same results.

So my impression: SDE 4.1 has a problem, independent of the used Eclipse or JRE.

I installed now again SDE 4.0 - with Eclipse 3.3 and JRE 6.0.
Installation is now OK - now I have to check, if the rest works.

[quote=Karl99X]Now I tried also Eclipse 3.2.2 with JRE 5.0 - still the same results.

So my impression: SDE 4.1 has a problem, independent of the used Eclipse or JRE.[/quote]

Similar problem here, but solved.
Different environment though:

• openSUSE 10.2, Java 1.5.0_12
  • Eclipse Version: 3.3.0, Build id: I20070621-1340
  • SDE for Eclipse Enterprise Edition 4.1 sp1_20071003

After running
$VP_Install/launcher/VP_Suite_Update
SDE simply wouldn’t start - no log file, no error message.
Before getting into strace and other serious debugging, I ran
$VP_Install/bin/VP_Suite
as if you’d do for (re-)install.
After clicking through all dialog options and watching a (too-fast-to-decipher) file-copy-popup - voila, SDE started again.

Hi vobu,

Thank you for your post. VP Suite Update is for updating the installation. It is not for starting SDE. To start SDE, you need to install it first by running VP Suite, and then start SDE by running the launcher inside the launchers folder.

Best regards,
Jick

[quote=Jick]VP Suite Update is for updating the installation. It is not for starting SDE. To start SDE, you need to install it first by running VP Suite, and then start SDE by running the launcher inside the launchers folder.
[/quote]

Sorry, I probably wasn’t clear enough in my last post:
I used

$VP_Install/launcher/VP_Suite_Update 

for updating the SDE installation.

After the update completed, SDE wouldn’t start anymore; like Karl99X posted above.
After running

$VP_Install/bin/VP_Suite 

and clicking through the dialogs, SDE started again.

Hello vobu,

Thank you for the explanation. Do you remember which version and build you were using before running upgrade?

Thank you.

Best regards,
Jick

Hi,
I have a similar problem. I don’t find the modeling perspective and sde-ce doesn’t start with eclipse 3.3 on gentoo.

Software version:

• VP_Suite_Linux_3_1_sp1_20071018.sh
  • Eclipse Platform
    Version: 3.3.0
    Build id: M20070921-1145

Hi nicolab80,

Thank you for your post. Could you try selecting a Java project first, then right-click on it and select Open SDE-EC from the popup menu? If this doesn’t work, please let me know what will appear on the screen (e.g. Gray screen? Nothing happens?). I would be grateful if you could send me some screenshots as well.

Finally, please send me the vp.log file which could be found at ${VP-SUITE-INSTALL-DIR}/bin

We look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,
Jick

I installed the Eclipse version for C++ developer.
I’ve just added java support and SDE works.

Thank you.

Hi nicolab80,

Thank you for sharing the good news with me.

Best regards,
Jick

The same problems.

My conffiguration is:

• Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy gibbon)
  • Eclipse 3.3.1 (with: Java, Ruby, C/C++ IDEs)
  • JRE 1.5 and 6 (no difference in Eclipse tragic behavior)

Just after installation Eclipse started and a splash screen of SDE-EC appeared. Then, I tried to select “Open SDE-EC” from context menu of my Java project (existing one) and I’ve obtained error window telling something about SWT exception (something not implemented in blah,blah.Introspection or such). Then my Eclipse just has not been starting. Just after info about “vp plugin loaded” my Eclipse dies silently. No log found.

Hi Damian,

Could you provide me with some screenshots or log for us to trace the problem? Thank you in advance!

Best regards,
Jick

Just after my last post, I launched Eclipse without an environment variable AWT_TOOLKIT=MToolkit, which I need to start Netbeans 6beta in my glassy compiz-fussion 3D GUI ennvironment :wink: So, my Eclipse started and managed to select New Class Diagram from menu. But then I’ve obtained two error windows (see new-class-diagram.png). After I quit Eclipse and started once again I’ve obtained such a nice log in class diagram editor window (see right-after-start.png).

Best regards,

D.

right-after-start.png

new-class-diagram.png

Hi Damian,

Thank you for your reply. Could you send me your vp.log file? You can find it inside the Eclipse folder.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,
Jick

Hi Damian,

Could you try also to start Eclipse with the JRE we bundled? It is at: ${vp-suite-install-dir}/jre

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Jick

Here you have
vp.log

I used eclipse’s -vm option to specify VP_Suite JRE but it didn’t help.

B.r.,
D.