SDE for Net Beans installed but not running

Hello,

I installed SDE to my NB 6.8, installation went OK but SDE did not appear in the NB, no new menu, nothing under Tools.
I uninstalled and downloaded and installed no-install version with the same result. Also no difference if NB started via your launcher or its own launcher.

I’ve got Win7 64b, NB 6.8 installed recently, basic installation without any extra modules. JDK1.6.0_17. The machine is not used for programming normally, everything from windows to java was installed in a very standard way.

Some sde stuff appeared in folders in the NB installation, therefore there is no problem with user rights. Both installers also asked for admin rights.

Hi user,

Thank you for your message. Since SDE needs to associate with one NetBeans project, please ensure that you have existing project in NetBeans. When you started NetBeans, please try to right-click on the project and select Open SDE-NB in popup menu, then you should find additional panes (SDE panes) for modeling.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any further inquiry.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

Thank you for your answer.

I’ve seen this advice in other thread here, so I’ve already tried. There is a project, however nothing about SDE in the popup menu. I’ve tried popup menu on the whole project, packages as well as individual files but without success. In both Projects and Files panes.

I’ve got a community license.

Thank you for any further advice, I’d really like to try this software.

Jiri

Hi Jiri,

Thanks for replying. Could you please have a check if there is menu item “Tools > SDE-NB” when you right-click on the NetBeans project in Project Explorer or File Explorer?

Is there is not such menu item in project popup menu, could you please select Tools > Plugins to check whether there is “Visual Paradigm Smart Development Environment…” (like that in attached image)?

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

installed_plugins.png

Hello Lilian,

thank you for your help. Unfortunately, your plugin isn’t there. So I tried to download and install it again but still nothing :frowning:

An idea - SDE is installed to Program Files (x86), but Net Beans in normal Program Files. Can 64 X 32 bit be a problem even with a Java program?

I’ve found installation.log, hope it will help.

Regards
Jiri
installation.log

Hi Jiri,

Thanks for replying. Different Program Files directory should not be a problem to run SDE-NB.
May I know whether you downloaded VP Suite installer from our website to install SDE-NB, or you download SDE-NB via NetBeans’s plugin update?

If you installed SDE-NB via NetBeans’s plugin update, could you please download VP Suite installer from the following link and install SDE-NB by specifying the NetBeans directory, and see if you can start SDE-NB without problem?

http://www.visual-paradigm.com/downloads/vpsuite/VP_Suite_Windows.exe

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

I can’t see any SDE or Visual paradigm plugin among plugins in NetBeans, so I couldn’t use the plugin update.

Yes, I used the VP Suite installer, the exact name of the file was VP_Suite_Windows_4_1_sp1_20091230.exe.

A I wrote earlier, I tried also the no-install variant, a file VP_Suite_Windows_NoInstall_4_1_sp1_20091217.zip.

Thank you for your help but I think I’ll give this up. I am disappointed as I’m looking for software that generates UML from java code and this one looks great but I’m lucky not to buy a licence, I would be pretty annoyed now.

And I really do not understand this. I’ve got only a month old clean installation of the system, from a standard, bought dvd, downloaded and installed official sun’s java from their web, downloaded and installed NetBeans from their web. No manual “hacking” of settings, no corporate customized installations. There’s completely nothing that could prevent a proper installation…

Best regards
Jiri

Hi Jiri,

Thanks for replying. I’m sorry that our engineers have no idea at the moment as there is not much information for investigation…
How about we schedule an online meeting to take a look at the problem of SDE-NB? The online meeting will be held over a secure connection. I will be able to see your screen and may need to control it with your approval. If you can join the meeting, please send me an email to lilian.wong@visual-paradigm.com and let me know which time zone you are in. Thanks in advance!

Also, you can use the standalone Visual Paradigm for UML (VP-UML) which basically share the same feature with SDE (they are different in working environment only), so you can reverse Java source to class models.
By the way, you can run Instant Reverse (in Standard Edition or above) or Java round-trip engineering (in Professional Edition or above) to reverse your Java source. Instant Reverse is an one-off engineering so existing models will be overwritten every time you run it. But java round-trip engineering will update models with changes in code.

If you need more details about Instant Reverse and Java round-trip engineering, please visit the links below respectively:
http://www.visual-paradigm.com/product/vpuml/provides/codedbeng.jsp#instantreverseeng
http://www.visual-paradigm.com/product/vpuml/provides/codedbeng.jsp#javaroundtrip

I look forward to hearing your response.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

I had similiar problem. But I think I’ve discovered the solution. Try to run NetBeans or SDE with Administrator privilege. In my case it seems to be working.

Hi, I had a similar problem and the reason was that I clicked too fast through the installation procedure and missed to request an activation key.

[quote=LilianWong]Hi Jiri,

Thanks for replying. I’m sorry that our engineers have no idea at the moment as there is not much information for investigation…
How about we schedule an online meeting to take a look at the problem of SDE-NB? The online meeting will be held over a secure connection. I will be able to see your screen and may need to control it with your approval. If you can join the meeting, please send me an email to lilian.wong@visual-paradigm.com and let me know which time zone you are in. Thanks in advance!

Also, you can use the standalone Visual Paradigm for UML (VP-UML) which basically share the same feature with SDE (they are different in working environment only), so you can reverse Java source to class models.
By the way, you can run Instant Reverse (in Standard Edition or above) or Java round-trip engineering (in Professional Edition or above) to reverse your Java source. Instant Reverse is an one-off engineering so existing models will be overwritten every time you run it. But java round-trip engineering will update models with changes in code.

If you need more details about Instant Reverse and Java round-trip engineering, please visit the links below respectively:
http://www.visual-paradigm.com/product/vpuml/provides/codedbeng.jsp#instantreverseeng
http://www.visual-paradigm.com/product/vpuml/provides/codedbeng.jsp#javaroundtrip

I look forward to hearing your response.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong[/quote]

I have the same problem…

I’m having the same issues as the above users. Everything has installed correctly. I can fire up netbeans via the SDE for NetBeans shortcut, but I can’t access the UML tool, nor is it showing up as an installed plugin. I’m running windows 7 and Netbeans 7.0.

Is there any more help for this?

Many thanks

Joe Lemmer

I’m having the same issues as the above users. Everything has installed correctly. I can fire up netbeans via the SDE for NetBeans shortcut, but I can’t access the UML tool, nor is it showing up as an installed plugin. I’m running windows 7 64bit and Netbeans 7.0.1

Hi,

I had the same problem few mins ago. I just deleted the var folder under .netbeans, and restarted Netbeans. The problem has been solved. I wanted to post my solution if anybody needs.

Canan

Hello Canan,

Good to know that you found the solution on this problem!

Best regards,
Rain Wong