Sequence Vs. collaboration diagram

Does anyone use Collaboration diagram during modeling? Most of the time I’ve been using Sequence diagram and hardly ever used collaboration diagram.

Hi AjayKumarSingh,

Thanks for your post.
Collaboration Diagram shows the objects and their association with other objects in the system apart from how they interact with each other, while Sequence Diagram shows the dynamic interaction between objects in time ordered.
i.e. Collaboration Diagram emphasizes the relationships between objects while Sequence diagram emphasizes the time sequence of behavior.

I hope these can help. If there are any inquiries, please feel free to contact me again.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

Thanks LilianWong,
Yes the definition is clear, my query was do people really use collaboration diagram often? I’ve never seen anyone using collaboration diagram. Most of the time sequence diagram serves the purpose.

Hi AjayKumarSingh,

Thanks for your reply. In fact, using Sequence Diagram or Collaboration Diagram (or Communication Diagram) depends on the purpose you prefer.

Basically, Sequence Diagram and Collaboration Diagram has the same information but in different view. As Sequence Diagram is specifying the time and event between objects, it’s easy to trace the interaction between objects. However, the relationship between different objects cannot be traced easily (especially in a complex Sequence Diagram).

For Collaboration Diagram, it shows the relationships between different objects, but it will be difficult to check the communication path as well as the specific time of communication between objects.

Our tool is able to synchronize a Sequence Diagram to a Collaboration Diagram. You can refer to the flash movie in the following link.
http://files3.visual-paradigm.com/200804/Lilian/movie/sequence_vs_collaboration.htm

I hope my explanation can help you to get a idea of the instance to use Sequence Diagram and Collaboration Diagram. If you have any further inquiries, please feel free to contact me again.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

can somebody please tell me how statechart diagram are advantageos over sequence diagram?? reply ASAP