So what does it do?

===========from BP-VA discussion ============
Hi Henk,

The project files are compatible for different Visual Paradigm products. That means, you can open in VP-UML a project saved in Agilian.

For Agilian, you can think in a way that, it is equals to the Standard Edition of VP-UML, ‘minus’ those code engineering features, ‘plus’ diagram types that are not supported by the Standard Edition of VP-UML.

Best regards,
Jick

======================================

Ok so I can do all the UML diagrams with it, using the same functionality and open it across VP products. That I got :slight_smile:

Now re BP-VA, does it have the same functionality as the analyst version?

See I need a tool that can do both the all the UML diagrams and all the BPMN stuff. I do not want to generate code or design anything, just the pictures and tracking of the requirements/use cases.

I want to collect:

• business processes (as is and to be)
  • business requirements and apply some sort of tracability on it.
  • link business requirements to elements in the diagrams.
  • able to generate reports (pdf, word and web)
  • able to link requirements back to a word document.
  • setup a template (as in VP UML) that I can use to describe the process/use case etc and be able to link that to a word document.
  • be able to colaborate (eg team server).

Now here is the funny part, to do so (or atleast getting close to it) I bought and used ever since VP-UML than I bought BP-VA for the bpmn stuff. Now it looks like I should have bought agilian :roll:

Hi Henk,

There are things that BP-VA can do but Agilian cannot. For example, exporting BP-EL. Besides, we will add more and more features to BP-VA, which strengthen its support to business process modeling.

Agilian focus more of diagramming. It does not bound to a particular methodology because you can start from any diagram you like.

You mentioned also about the Analyst Edition of BP-VA. Agilian supports DFD that is supported by the Analyst Edition.

Hope the information has helped. Please feel free to let me know if there are any questions.

Best regards,
Jick

Thanks,

Interesting, but the diagrams you create with Agilian are still bound to follow the notation is it not?

For example the UML diagrams follow the UML notation and the BP diagrams follow the BPMN notaion?

Hi Henk,

Actually, you can create your own shape to be the notation, if necessary. We support several ways to accomplish this:

1. Shape Editor (new feature!)
  2. Image shape
  3. Importing Visio stencil

For details about Shape Edition, please read:
http://resource.visual-paradigm.com/vpsuite3.0/shape_editor.html

Best regards,
Jick

Sorry, but you might have misunderstood my question.

The UML diagrams in Agilian have the same functionality as in UML-VP?

The BPMN diagrams in Agilian have the same functionality as in BP-VP?

So, if I want to do UML and BPMN but no code generation, I am better of buying Agilian instead UML-VP enterprise.

As you stated the you can use any diagram but it does not enforce a methodologie.

How am I doing sofar?

Looks like Agilian is the x-mass present for me this year :lol:

Also is there any chance of cross grating/up or down grating? Eg swap my VP-UML and VP-BP license.

Hello Henk,

Yes, I probably misunderstood your questions. I am so sorry.

The UML diagrams in Agilian have the same functionality as in
UML-VP?

For general diagramming features, the answer is Yes. But Agilian does not support features like synchronization between class diagram and ERD, which is considered to be a feature in the Enterprise Edition and the DB-VA.

The BPMN diagrams in Agilian have the same functionality as in BP-VP?

The answer is similar to the above. For specific feature like generating BP-EL from diagram, it is not supported by Agilian. (I guess you won’t use this feature?)

So, if I want to do UML and BPMN but no code generation, I am better of buying Agilian instead UML-VP enterprise.

If you mean to do the diagramming parts of UML and BPMN, the answer is absolutely Yes.

Also is there any chance of cross grating/up or down grating? Eg swap my VP-UML and VP-BP license.

Sorry, but we do not have this plan at this moment. But I will let our team know about your feedback.

Best regards,
Jick

Fantastic,

Thanks for the response.

If you can sort out the upgrade or something like that, I will have a copy.

The way I look at it is that it might be just what common Business Analyst teams are after. Be able to do the diagramming and requirements gathering.

Once that is done and agreed upon most of the time it is handed of to the code cutters, and they might be ok with a specific Visual Paradigm module like UML-VP.

Sound good, i been waiting for something like this, few minor things I am still missing but sure enough you guys will work on that one day. Especially the requirements gathering stuff.

Thanks for your your quick (as usuall) response.

Henk.

Looking at Henk’s list:

I want to collect:

• business processes (as is and to be)
  • business requirements and apply some sort of tracability on it.
  • link business requirements to elements in the diagrams.
  • able to generate reports (pdf, word and web)
  • able to link requirements back to a word document.
  • setup a template (as in VP UML) that I can use to describe the process/use case etc and be able to link that to a word document.
  • be able to colaborate (eg team server).

This is pretty much what I am looking to do; can you tick all these with Agilian?

I am a consultant Business Analyst working with a large corporate in the UK and need something to do this, Agilian could be the solution that I suggest to them.

Ianhb

Sounds like we are after the same thing.

I included some more details in where I am after.

1. business processes (as is and to be). We use BPMN for that, but it would be good if we could tag (either by stereo type, category etc) the processes that are to be changed or moved to other roles. Often process change occurs and it would be good to show that in the AS IS diagrams. Also defining if it a functional or non functional requirement.

2. business requirements and apply some sort of traceability on it. This is important for testing and post project stuff. What this does is providing a unique number to the requirement and allow for tracing it throughout the documents (for example SDLC) or tender process. It can be as simple as a matrix for example Req#, Requirement Name, location in BRS, location in SD, location in TC and the like. If we really get clever we can add some sort of weighting to it so we can apply some sort of function point count and/or score card to it.

3. link business requirements to elements in the diagrams. Be able to link the requirement to a process within the diagram, but not limiting to one process. So for example if I open up SUB-Process 1.0 Search for the Bananas in the field. I want to be able to see what the requirements are for that process, were they are documented (see traceability) and when they where raised and/or implemented.

4. able to generate reports (pdf, word and web) although VP can do it reasonably well I like to see some extra. For example a lot of companies use templates (mainly MS Word) that have pre defined sections eg. 1 introduction, 2. Overview, 3. Requirements etc. I want to be able to update the requirement description in either Word or VP and than press a button and the descriptions will be “merged”. (I know a big ask but I am asking it anyway)

5. able to link requirements back to a word document. same as above.

6. setup a template (as in VP UML) that I can use to describe the process/use case etc and be able to link that to a word document.
    This sort of applies to the reporting. Companies use different templates and different structures to describe the requirements for example: Process Name, Roles, Pre and Post conditions, Processes etc. The UML group has some interesting layouts. But I want to be able to do my own (I am special :-)) and than be able to apply this to all the processes, the template layout not the content. It would be some sort of global/default setting. Same way as you can do the colors.

Unfortunately copy the process descriptions back and forward between the word documents and VP does not work to well for me, especially if a table is used.

1. be able to collaborate (eg team server).
    I think it can do that already is it not?

I put these request through the suggestion box. I post them here as FYI

Hi Henk,

Thank you for your continuous support. I will pass your opinion no to our supervisor. By the way, I notice that your message that is dropped to our ticket system has been replied, but bounced back with a failure message. I doubt if you have received that. If not, please let me know.

Best regards,
Jick

Hi ianhb,

I admit that all the requested features are supported at this moment. But I guarantee that we will treat any requests seriously. We will consider if we can support them later on. Up to now, we support business process modeling such as drawing BPD, DFD, navigation between subprocess, etc. We also support report generation in PDF, HTML, Word report form. Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Jick