SQL Server connection to a named instance not working

I’m evaluating the product and I’m really surprised how difficult is a simple thing like setup up a connection string to a SQL server instance.

I have a named instance I can connect to in the SQL Server using ServerDNS\InstanceName format i.e.

ConnectIssue

However in the connection setup in there is no option to specify the instance name so you have to go to manually type in the connection string. I’m still trying to figure out what it should be.
So I spent over and hour evaluating this product and I didn’t even completed a single step :roll_eyes:

I forgot to mention that I tried to include the instance name in the host name field but I got tis error:

java.lang.Exception: v.aah.au: java.sql.SQLException: Unknown server host name ‘HOUDBDV206.US.BTSWYN.COM\SQL2014’.
at v.aem.e.q(:1054)
at v.aem.t.actionPerformed(:1007)

When I took out the instance name I got this error:

java.lang.Exception: java.lang.Exception: Test .NET connection failed!

at v.aem.e.q(:1054)
at v.aem.t.actionPerformed(:1007)

Dear isinger,

Thank you for your inquiry. I’m sorry that our product is using JDBC connection to connect to DB, where the named instance of your SQL Server should be specified using port number instead of instance name. Please make sure your SQL Server enabled TCP/IP connection and you specified the port number representing the server instance in VP’s connection setting. More details can be found in the article below. Feel free to contact me for any questions and wish you have a good day!

Best regards,
Rain Wong