State diagrams and submachines: where is the Submachine model object?

When I add a SubmachineState “Sub1” to a state machine, I have 2 options for specifying the behaviour for “Sub1”.

1. right-click on the “Sub1” shape and choose “Sub Diagrams”->“State Machine Diagram”–>“Add State Machine Diagram”. This creates a new child State Machine Diagram object for “Sub1” and when I add states to the new diagram they are all children of “Sub1”. This is OK.

2. the second option I think is more correct from a UML2 point of view: right-click on the “Sub1” shape and choose “Submachine”->“Create State Machine”. This does not create any object in the model tree (I’d expect that a new StateMachine object was created!), but a new state machine diagram is opened. This new diagram is not appear on the model tree (!!). When I add states to this diagram they are placed at the root level in the model tree (!!).

Where I’m wrong? Why a new StateMachine object does not appear on the model (as parent of the new submachine’s states)?

Capture.gif

hello pox70,

We will investigate if we can support showing the models under the parent submachine state. I will come back to you as soon as possible.

Best regards,
Jick

Hello pox70,

I am glad to inform you that the problem related to structuring of Submachine State and submachine is fixed. Please download the patch at:
http://files3.visual-paradigm.com/200704/Patch/sp1_20070420h/vpplatform.jar

To install the patch:

1. Shutdown any running instances of VP
  2. Replace $vp-suite-install-dir/lib/vpplatform.jar with the downloaded jar file
  3. Run $vp-suite-install-dir/bin/VP Suite.exe to install the patch
  4. Restart the application

With the fix, you should see the Submachine model put under the project root. Under the Submachine model, there will have the diagram and the contained elements.

Note:

1. If you are going to download with Internet Explorer, you may need to rename the file from .zip to .jar manually
  2. Please do not run Product Update after applying the patch. Otherwise the update will replace the patch with the previous version (I will inform you to run the update when the next release is ready)

Please let me know if it works.

Best regards,
Jick

Hello pox70,

Just a note to inform you that the fix is now available in Service Pack 2, which was released last Saturday. Since you were asked to use a patch, I would like to suggest you upgrade to the latest version, which is more stable than the patch.

To upgrade, please run the product updater inside the bin folder of VP Suite installation directory.

You may want to know more about the new and enhanced feature in Service Pack 2:
http://resources.visual-paradigm.com/vpsuite3.0sp2

Please feel free to let me know if you need any help.

Best regards,
Jick