Strange behavior in activity diagrams

Hi!

I noticed a strange behavior of VP-UML 5.2 (20060214) Community Edition when adding some elements to an activity diagram:

1. Contrary to the former versions of VP-UML (I think so) it is not possible to place objects/activities in a way, that they overlap the border between two or more swimlanes. When there is interaction between some swimlanes, this is absolutely necessary.
    Of course you can trick a little, but than the border will always be shown in front.

2. When you try to enlarge an activity region inside a swimlane, all the contained objects and actions (not the arrows) disappear behind the activity region. Neither it is possible to send the activity region to the back nor to bring the disappeared objects to front.

3. Not really a bug: I read in UML-books about LoopNodes (for/while) or ConditionalNodes (if/then/else) in activity diagrams, but I could not find them inside VP-UML. Where should I look?
    In case they are not present in the actual implementation:
    Both nodes are shown like Expansion Regions but with horizontal lines seperating the regions. They are both very similar to Loop Combined Fragments with two or more operands in sequence diagrams.

Thank you for your help!
Julian

Hi Julian,

Thanks for trying our new version. Let me reply your enquiry one by one:

1. Yes, as I remember we did support this in the former version (VP-UML 5.1). I will ask our engineers about this and get back to you as soon as possible.

2. I am sorry that I have tried but unable to reproduce this problem. Is it possible for you to repeat it from scratch? If so, could you please show me the steps? I ask for the steps because the sequence in creating the models (swimlane, activity region, actions…) is important for problems related to ordering of shapes.

3. I will get back to you with more details shortly.

Best Regards,
Jick

Hi Jick!

Is it possible for you to repeat it from scratch? If so, could you please show me the steps? I ask for the steps because the sequence in creating the models (swimlane, activity region, actions…) is important for problems related to ordering of shapes.

Follow these steps:

1. create verticale swimlanes
  2. create activity region inside one swimlane. The activity region must not reach over the border to the next swimlane
  3. create action inside this activity
  4. now choose one of these
    a. move activity region into the other swimlane or
    b. adjust the size of the activity region in a way that the border between the swimlanes will move. You will see that the border appears twice (another bug, I guess). Now just move the activity region a little inside its swimlane. The correct single border will be shown again, but:

In both ways you will only see the activity region, not the action. When trying to send the activity region to the back you will recognize that nothing is happening.

When selecting the action (because you do not see the action itself you need to left-click outside the activity region and move the mouse over the action while the left button is pressed to achieve this) and trying to bring it to front you will get the same result: none.

I hope this will help!

Thanks a lot!
Julian

Hi Julian,

Thank’s for the description. I understand the reason why I could not repeat the problem. This is because I was trying with a newer release which already have the bug fixed :wink: I will post the hotfix here as soon as possible.

The problem of duplicating border was identified, and our engineers are now fixing it.

Best Regards,
Jick

Hi Julian,

The Z-Order problem happened in Activity Diagram is fixed and deployed. Please update your tool to the latest release. The following article shows you how to perform update:
http://resource.visual-paradigm.com/tips_and_tricks/general/keeping_your_tool_up-to-date_by_vp_suite_update.html

Here is the status of other issues you raised:

1. Place objects/activities on the border.
    Fixed, but not yet deployed.

2. Missing LoopNodes and ConditionalNodes
    We will support the notations very soon.

If there are any further inquiry, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,
Jick

Hi Julian,

Problem #1 and #3 are also fixed. Please download the hotfix at:
http://files2.visual-paradigm.com/200603/Hotfix/20060308t/vpplatform.jar

Please refer to the following page for how to install the hotfix:
http://resource.visual-paradigm.com/tips_and_tricks/general/replacing_hot_fix.html

Regarding #1, the following models are allowed to be put on the border of a swimlane:
join/fork node, object node, central buffer node, datastore node

If there are any questions, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,
Jick