Sub diagrams and parents

Hello,

I have a question regarding sub diagrams:
Is it possible to associate a subdiagram to multiple parents ? For instance, to an activity from an “above” level diagram, and a use case from an other diagram. Currrently, if I try to do such an association, Visual Paradigm for UML will remove thr forst association to replace it by the new one.

I think I have read somewhere in this forum that sub diagrams can have only one parent, which is consistant with what I have experienced. But is there any work around ? I know that I could create a reference link to multiple “parents” elements, but are there any other way to create that kind of association ?

Thanks for your time to have read my post, and thanks in advance for your answer.
Regards

Paul

Hello Paul,

Thank you for your message. As you understand we only allow to have one parent for model/diagram. I guess your intention is to reuse the activity diagram for elaborate multiple use cases. On the other view it seems not very usual that you have multiple use cases doing similar things. Would you mind share with me about your use case model?

Best regards,
Rain

Hello Rain,
Thank you for your reply.
Actualy, I don’t want to link an activity diagram to multiple use cases, but to a use case and some other activity diagrams.
Regards,

Paul

Hello Rain,
Thank you for your reply.
Actualy, I don’t want to link an activity diagram to multiple use cases, but to a use case and some other activity diagrams.
Regards,

Paul

Hi Paul,

Thank you for your post. What do you mean by to link an activity diagram to some other activity diagrams? Do you mean to have an activity diagram as parent of another diagram? It sounds uncommon. Do you have any example for us to understand the case easier? Thank you!

Best regards,
Jick Yeung

Hello Jick,

Yes, you are right, but maybe I have not been precise enought. I have some activities in some activity diagrams that needs to be detailed, and we use activity diagram for that. Indeed, we have Activity diagram having an activity diagram as a parent (or even grand parent).
But the point is that I would like to be able to link one diagram to “a few” parents, and if I link one subdiagram to more than one, I will loose the link with the first ones. So currently we use the reference to link diagrams and to be able to have more than one link between diagrams, but I know it is not designed for that.
One other feature that I would be interested in is an overview of the parents tree/links between all the diagrams, but I have not found anything like this.
Best regards
Paul