SysML: Copied blocks' names disappeared

Hi,
I have copied few blocks from the IBD that I created before and pasted them on another IBD (“Paste view”). After I closed the project and opened it next day, my copied blocks look like this (no names and types):

Also, context menu has no option to open element’s specification, and “Visualize related elements” shows nothing.
Is it a glitch or am I doing something wrong when copying?

Are you able to share this project file?

Unfortunately, when trying to upload the file I receive a message that I am not yet allowed to attach files to my posts, so I had to use a filesharing service.
Here is a link: https://dropmefiles.com/YIiOQ

Thanks for sharing. I was able to duplicate your complaint with the file; so there does seem to be a bug somewhere in the software that needs to be examined by Visual Paradigm.

However, not understanding your design, the modeling technique is unfamiliar to me. Not being an expert, I don’t recognize the use of the Association End block shown on your IBD. These blocks seem to have the software defect.

A different modeling technique may work-around the defect.

I noticed that you didn’t create the CIU Internal Block Diagrams underneath the CIU Block in the Model Explorer. Additionally, it’s not immediately apparent to me why there are multiple part associations between the FBW block and the CIU block on the FBW CUI Block Diagram. It kind of looks like a mash-up between an BDD and an IBD.

The multiple part associations are there because in my system devices of one type (CIU) have different functions (and different connections to other devices). To be able to capture this different kinds of connections I need to have every CIU described as parts separately.

Actually, I read about such approach in “Cookbook for MBSE with SysML”. Here is a quote:

“If you define a property with a multiplicity, like an array of FPGA you will not be able to distinguish them in the IBD. They are considered as a single property. This is fine if the system can treat them all the same way.
If you want to treat them differently, e.g. there are different algorithm allocated to each of the FPGA or they have different electrical connections then you need to create for each of them a separate property or association with a role. The same block can serve to type different parts in an IBD. Each can have a different role name on the association end in the BDD.”

I think I understand. I created a VPP file attempting to emulate the two alternatives described in the cookbook. See Multiplicity of Modes.vpp (847 KB). Not sure I got it right.

If you follow one of the two approaches as I interpreted them, it appears you can avoid relying solely on the End Association Block in VP. I duplicated the error in the new file as well, and flagged this thread as needing to be moved to Bug Reports.

We am very sorry about the problem you experienced.
The problem is forwarded to engineer team.
We will notify you when the problem is fixed.

I would like to let you know the copy and paste block generate blank model problem has been fixed. Please update the software to latest patch build (20190330ae or later) to get the problem fixed. Details about update to latest patch can be found at

• Please make sure you have pressed the “Update to latest patch” button on the left hand side of the dialog right after launching the update program

Please note that the patch will only prevent this problem appear again, but cannot fix the data in existing project. Feel free to contact me if you require any further information and wish you have a good day!

Best regards,
Rain Wong

1 Like

Thank you very much!