Table of contents generation

Hello,

I’ve been experimenting a bit with Report Writer in Agilian 2.2 (VP Suite 4.2).

It appears to me that generating the table of contents only works if you use the default heading styles (Heading 1, Heading 2, …). Report Writers does not use the “Heading 1 (VP)” Styles to generate the table of contents. Is that a bug? Or am I doing something wrong?

Is it possible to create your own Open Office template and add it to the Report Writer? For instance to create a number of reports using our own company logo, adapted numbering schemes, Margin settings, etc. It would be interesting to be able to start from a default Report Template and then adapt those styles that you’d like to see different.

Hi Tmahieu,

Thanks for your post. Would you mind to attach your project file as well as the template you used for investigation? You can find the Report Writer template files in VPSuite/resources/Report/Default/.

You can define your own Report Writer template to fit your needs on report, you can also import your report to Report Writer for further customization of report. Please find details about customizing Report Writer template from:
http://www.visual-paradigm.com/product/vpuml/tutorials/customizingreportwriter.jsp

Besides the Report Writer, I recommend you have a try to our report template designer which can help you customize the report as well. Report template designer is easy to understand and use, and details are available at:
http://www.visual-paradigm.com/product/ag/provides/docgen.jsp#doctpldesigner

I hope you like the report template designer. I look forward to hearing your response.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

Hello Lilian,

The main reason I’ve resorted to Report writer is because we wish to generate reports with more semantic structure than is possible with report template designer.

For example, We want to generate a report where, in the first section, you show a number of high level business processes and a number of component diagrams that show the architecture of the system. In a second section each component is discussed in greater detail with more detailed business process diagrams and class models.

Such structure is impossible to define in Report Template designer. In Report Template Designer, you can select which diagrams you wish to show using the default template. However, if you create your own template, you can only choose the TYPE of diagram you want to show in a Diagram loop. I never want to show ALL Business Process diagrams but, for example, only those business process diagrams that show a high level overview of the processes in the system.

Also, the tabular way of showing documentation is not really feasible. Report writer allows you to insert documentation more in plain text form. In fact, by adapting templates you can insert any type of text as plain text (apparently you just insert it in a table with one row and one column, but the visual result is the same as if you would insert it als normal text).

Also, when I was referring to an open office template, I was referring to the document templates you must choose when you create a new report in Report Writer: “Aqua”, “Aurora”, “Waterfall” and “Pea”, for example. I assume those merely define how your document will be styled in open office (Report Writer clearly uses Open Office :slight_smile: ). Is it possible to create your own document templates? For example to use a different numbering scheme, change document margins, a company logo.

best regards,

Tom

Hi Tom,

Sorry for my late response. This issue is forwarded to our engineers to follow-up, and I’ll come back to you once there is any feedback.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

Hi

Did you have the solution to create templates like ‘Aqua’, ‘Pea’, …

Please reference to the following link on how to create the templates for report writer. Feel free to contact me if you require any further information.

http://oldresources.visual-paradigm.com/tips_and_tricks/general/defining_templates_for_report_writer.html

Best regards,
Rain