Teamwork service issues

Hi

We have installed a TeamWork server (3.3) and configured it to run as a service. Unfortunately it only seems to work when a user is logged on to the server. As soon as the administrator logs off then users get ‘login failed’ or ‘service unavailable’ messages whenever they try to connect via the VP client. Logging back in and manually running the ‘StartTeamWorkServer.exe’ application will fix the problem.

Has anyone else had this? Any ideas anyone?

Thanks in advance

Andy

Hi Andy,

Thanks for your post. I suspect that you did not install Teamwork Service as service during installation of Teamwork Server indeed.

Please refer to the image below, you need to select the first option for installing Teamwork Server as service, so that you will be able to connect to the server even not loggin to the machine where Teamwork Server is installed.
I suggest you select the second option “Start on bootup” as well since it will startup the Teamwork Server service once you start the machine.

Could you try to re-install Teamwork Server with these 2 selections during installation and see if your problem is resolved? Thanks!

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

install_as_service.png

Hello,

I experience the same problem. I am very sure that I installed the Teamwork Server with the option to install as service and the option “Start on bootup”.

Could it be that this is a problem on certain machines?

Regards,

triste

Hi Triste,

Thanks for your post. Could you please send me the vp.log file inside the VPSuite/bin folder, also the one inside TeamworkServer/jetty/webapps/vpteamwork/WEB-INF folder? Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

Hi Lilian,

I just sent you two private Messages containing vp.log files. I hope these information help you to locate the problem.

Thanks a lot for your help,

triste

Hi Triste,

Thanks for the vp.log files. May I know did you restart the machine (which Teamwork Server is installer) after the installation? Or you just log off after the installation?

If you have done that but the problem persist, please let me know!

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

Hi Lilian,

I just tried restarting the system. Unfortunately this did not help. Could it be a problem with the server being a virtual machine?
By the way, we also have the floating license server installed on the same virtual machine, we’ve never had any problems there.

Thanks for your help,

triste

Hi Triste,

Thanks for replying. Could you please capture a screenshot of service status of Teamwork Server (at Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services) for me? Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

Hi again,

both services are started.
After logout and login again, both services are started. The license server still works fine, the teamwork server is unreachable.
Both services start automatically and run under the local system.
Unfortunately I have no easy way of sending you a screenshot.

Regards,

triste

Hi Triste,

Thanks for replying. So the situation is:
both the floating license server and teamwork server are installed in the same virtual machine, the teamwork service is started automatically after you started the virtual machine.
You can connect to the floating license server but cannot connect to teamwork server.

Please correct me if I’m wrong.

BTW, you can attach the screenshot with the “Attach Files” button when you reply.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

Hi Lilian,

you got me almost right.

Both the floating license server and teamwork server are installed on the same virtual machine, the teamwork server is started automatically after I started the virtual machine. I can connect to both the floating license server AND the teamwork server.
Once I logout from the virtual machine, the teamwork server can not be reached any longer.
When I log in to the virtual machine again and check the status of the teamwork server service, it tells me it is started. But still the teamwork server can not be reached. When I then stop the service and start it again, the teamwork server can be reached again until the next time I logout from the virtual machine.

I hope you could follow my description.

Regards,

triste

btw.: My problem with the screenshot was not the use of attach files function, but the problem that I have no access to the teamwork server- machine from this internet machine.

Hi Triste,

Thanks for the clarification. For connecting to Teamwork Server on VM machine, may I know are you using Bridge to connect to it?
If the VM machine and your machine are 2 separate machines, you will need to use Bridge in order to connect to the Teamwork Server on the VM machine.

Also, could you please attach your system event log file for study? Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

Hi Lilian,

which event log do you mean, where do I find it?

I also don’t know what you mean by bridge. Do you mean our network structure? Or are you referring to a specific program?

Regards,

Triste

Hi Triste,

Thanks for replying.

1. System log
    please right-click on My Computer and select “Manage” in the popup menu. Then select “Event Viewer” and you will see the system log. Simply right-click on the log file and select Save Log File As… in the popup menu to save it.

2. Network Setting
    please right-click on your VM machine (the one installed Teamwork Server) and select Properties, then you will see the network setting of your VM machine.

Please refer to the below images for reference. Looking forward for your reply.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

system_log.png

network_setting.png

Hi,

We had the same problem with the teamwork service.
To resolve this issue:

• Make sure that there is just only one service listening on port 1999. You can check this with netstat -a command in your DOS box
    It is possible that after an uninstall of the previous version the service is not correctly removed (also after a reboot)
  • in the task manager, kill the java processes with the same PID as in the dosbox.
    restart the service

In the latest release Teamwork Server had been merged into VP Server, which should solved this problem.

Best regards,
Rain Wong