Test cases

I have entered a use case (rather lengthy) and am now starting some test cases against this, all is going well however…

Is it possible to have a test case that only includes SOME of the steps of the use case and is it possible for this test case to only print the given steps?

Also I have placed tests under the requirements Diagram. Is there a means to link these to the tests on the use cases?
Is there a means to print just the testcases from this Requirements Diagram? (with their steps)?

It seems there are 2 ways to record these test cases (probably more) and I am unsure which will be the best?

Ultimately & ideally I would like a table of all these test cases (& steps) in the one document. This is easy from the use case, but each test having unnecessary steps looks tardy?

any help appreciated
Michael

An answer to ANY of these would be appreciated
8)
LOTS
:slight_smile:

Also in extensions to the use case there exists the columns “procedure” & “Expectations” can I access these? Right Clicking etc doesn’t seem to work?

If there answers to these questions exist in the manual I would be happy with an answer that says exactly that?

MA

Hi mickartz,

Sorry to keep you waiting. Let me reply your questions one by one:

Is it possible to have a test case that only includes SOME of the steps of the use case and is it possible for this test case to only print the given steps?

By test case, are you talking about test case in requirement diagram? Currently there is no mapping from use case to (requirement) test case. If you want to copy the content from testing procedure in flow of events to (requirement) test case, you need to do this manually.

Also I have placed tests under the requirements Diagram. Is there a means to link these to the tests on the use cases?

You may make use of shape reference. Please take a look at the attached image 01-add-req-link.png.

Is there a means to print just the testcases from this Requirements Diagram? (with their steps)?

Ultimately & ideally I would like a table of all these test cases (& steps) in the one document. This is easy from the use case, but each test having unnecessary steps looks tardy?

Please try our report generation feature. Select Tools > Report > Generate PDF Report… Then select the Requirement Diagram and proceed to report generation. In the report you can see the test cases in table.

It seems there are 2 ways to record these test cases (probably more) and I am unsure which will be the best?

Could you tell me which 2 ways are you referring to? Flow of events of use case and requirement test case? For flow of events, you can use it to describe the steps needed to complete a use case. Test cases defined around it is for testing those steps. Test cases in requirement diagram is for testing system requirements, in other words the requirements shapes.

Also in extensions to the use case there exists the columns “procedure” & “Expectations” can I access these? Right Clicking etc doesn’t seem to work?

You need to select a testing procedure set first. Then you can edit the procedures and expected results column extension. See 02-select-a-test-proc.png.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Jick

02-select-a-test-proc.png

01-add-req-link.png

Thanks for the reply:

I’m caught between which way to record the UAT’s

However I’m leaning (& have started) placing them under the use case detail & flow of Events, since I like the fact that the Main steps are already laid out for me.

What I am now struggling to achieve is a custom report that I am able to list the Main Flow of Events then a custom header then the tests all following.

I would also like to filter this to show only the ONE use case?

I am at a complete loss as to how to produce this?

I also cannot get the same menu you have depicted in your second diagram (image 01-add-req-link.png. )? What are the advantages of this?

Can I then make a report that lists the Flow of Events “test cases” along with the test cases from the requirements Diagram?

My main aim is for uat’s so I’m thinking that the Use Case “Flow of Events” is my best method for this?

I also note that whilst the extension has the fields added as per your example ( 02-select-a-test-proc.png. ) I cannot access these to add notes etc?

(I also have a problem where the fields in a (PDF) report are not large enough to show the details entered into the Expectations or Procedures field?)

TIA

Michael ARtz

Hi Michael,

What I am now struggling to achieve is a custom report that I am able to list the Main Flow of Events then a custom header then the tests all following.

Could you send me a sample project along with a sample report to show me your expected outcome? I will try to give you a sample template to achieve your need. If your need cannot be achieved now, I will ask our team to try support it.

By the way, filter will be available in the next version.

I also cannot get the same menu you have depicted in your second diagram (image 01-add-req-link.png. )? What are the advantages of this?

That menu is for adding/accessing a reference. As you can see there are several types of references. You can add internal diagram, shape and model element references. External references include URL, file and folder path. It should be supported by all shapes. You said that you cannot get the menu, may I know what do you see when pressing the icon?

Can I then make a report that lists the Flow of Events “test cases” along with the test cases from the requirements Diagram?

Yes, you can. But it depends on how things are modeled. You may give me your project, or a sample so that we can provide a template for you.

My main aim is for uat’s so I’m thinking that the Use Case “Flow of Events” is my best method for this?

Yes, I think so.

I also note that whilst the extension has the fields added as per your example ( 02-select-a-test-proc.png. ) I cannot access these to add notes etc?

Are you referring to another use case as extension (see the attached image)? If so, you cannot access the two cells because the procedure and expected results are to be defined in the referenced use case.

(I also have a problem where the fields in a (PDF) report are not large enough to show the details entered into the Expectations or Procedures field?)

Could you attach a screenshot of your report to let us see how it looks like?

Best regards,
Jick

ref-use-case.png