Transit to New Diagram with UML 8.0 community

I downloaded VP Suite 5.0 community which includes UML 8.0. Every things is fine here. Thanks.

I took the free course: Using use case diagram (Free). Very affordable price. Thanks.
http://www.vp-trainingcenter.com/summary/usingusecasediagram.html

The course was made for an earlier version of UML. There is one thing i couldn’t do.
The replica of a “Use Case Diagram” via “Transit to New Diagram”.

You can see the contextual sub-menu from this online help:
http://www.visual-paradigm.com/highlight/diagramtransitor.jsp

That sub-menu isn’t there in UML 8.0 community. All i found is sub-menu "Transit to New Diagram"
from button “Modeling” in the toolbar. But that sub-menu never become selectable/highlighted.

If i would have to guess an answer. I’ld say that feature isn’t available in UML 8.0 community.
Unless there is something to do with that unselectable sub-menu. If someone knows …

Thnks in advance for all answers.

Hi datsit,

Diagram transitor is available in Standard/Professional/Enterprise Edition, not the Community Edition. If you want to duplicate elements in a diagram, you may consider selecting all shapes by press Ctrl-A, then create a diagram, paste by right clicking on the diagram and selecting Paste Model Element. Do not paste with Ctrl-V as this produces new views of elements rather than new model elements.

Best regards,
Jick

Hi Jick,

Thanks for your answer. I don’t think this is a “suitable” workaround.

We can see the parent property belong to old/originator “Use Case Diagram” when selected elements (ctrl-a) are pasted with ctrl-v.
Making them a view rather than new model elements. Unfortunately when pasted with “Paste Model Element” we see the same result/dependence to old/originator diagram.

To your opinion, is it intented to be this way or is it a bug ?

Thnks

Hi datsit,

I am sorry that I do not quite understand your reply. What do you mean by “parent property” and “same result/dependence to old/originator diagram”?

I am afraid that there is no effective way to accomplish what you could accomplish by using diagram transitor. My suggestion of copy and pate (as model element) was to help you duplicate a diagram. However, there won’t be transition from elements in source diagram to elements in new diagram.

Concerning whether to paste as view or model element, if you paste a use case as view, the use case will share the same model element of the source diagram. So when you rename the source, the one in new diagram will be renamed, too. It is not a true ‘duplicate’. When you paste as model element, a new model element is created base on the source. Changes made on source element will not affect the pasted, new element. Hence, this is a true duplicate.

Hope this help.

Best regards,
Jick

Hi Jick,

I am sorry that I do not quite understand your reply.
What do you mean by “parent property” and “same result/dependence to old/originator diagram”?

The window just below “Diagram Navigator” is named “Property” inside the grid you can see “Parent”. Just right to “Parent” the name of the old/originator “Use Case Diagram”. That apply when the actual element is an actor.

From there I made the assumption that all pasted elements were all “Views”. Even if they were pasted as “Paste model element”.

Changes made on source element will not affect the pasted, new element.

I was sure of the contrary. So I have “Open specification” of an element and made few changes. And those changes were not reflected in the new “Use case Diagram”. Making them two distincts elements.

A little property lured me. I still think that property is wrongly reported.
But at least my learning with that course can go on now.

Thank you Jick !