UML 2.0 Diagram Interchange - XMI Export

Hello,

I have a question concerning the XMI-Export Function of Visual Paradigm-UML. After exporting my Class-Diagram and regarding the generated code, it seems that VP doesn’t support the UML 2.0 Diagram Interchange Specification.
Although you adopt the -part in the exported XMI-File representing my Diagram. It seems to me that this adoption is only for the representation in VP itself and of course the eclipse-VP-extension because you scarcely use anything of the Diagram Interchange Specification Namespace.

Am I right with this assumption??? It would be very helpful if you would answer me this question as soon as it is possible.

Thank you very much

Hello Gelareh,

Our current XMI works well in exchanging model data (including diagram data) with most of the other applications. May I know what’s wrong with it? Could you give me some ideas what is the real usage of supporting Diagram Interchange Specification? Since I am not an expert in XMI, I hope this question won’t be too silly to be asked about…

Best regards,
Jick

thank you very much for the answer. As you wrote it is possible to import the semantics of an UML-Diagram into other tools, but not the representation layout.

I’m working on my thesis to transform XMI-Files into SVG. For this contract and for the visual representation of UML-Diagrams in general you need to support the Diagram Interchange Specification, which currently is supported by Poseidon for UML. So their generated XMI-Files can be transformed into SVG, because all the needed Diagram-Layout-Informarion are indipendent of Poseidon.

My question is, if the -part of your XMI-files are enough to do such an transformation, as I’m intended to do??? My impression is, that it is not possible to do so, because of the -tag. The generated file seems to be for the representation of the Layout only in VP.

Here you will find the Diagram Interchange Specification of OMG:

http://www.omg.org/cgi-bin/doc?formal/06-04-04

In “Annex B: XMI[DI] Examples” you will find a “simple” example of a XMI-Code which contains the Diagram-Namespace to interchange the data and to represent the layout afterwards. For the quick comparison I generated almost the same example (without the package) with VP, which you will find in the attachment.

Thank you very much!
VP_test.xmi

Hello Gelareh,

After a discussion with our developers, we confirmed that we will support this feature. However, it will take some time. I will inform you once it is ready.

Best regards,
Jick

Hello Jick,

again thanks for your support and the quick answers. It would be great, if your team would support the Diagram Interchange Specification, because Visual Paradigm is actually one of the best UML-Tools I’ve analysed concerning my thesis.

With best regards,
Gelareh

Hello Gelareh,

May I know which SVG converter are you using? The one we used doesn’t seems to work well. XMI with simple content also failed to be converted into SVG. I would be grateful if you can let us know the converter that you are using.

Best regards,
Jick

Hello Jick,

the converter is the main issue of my thesis :slight_smile: I’m working on the transformation of XMI to SVG. At the end of this summer, I should be finished with my thesis. If you’d still be interested in a converter at that time, I would like you to know about my results.

Best regards,
Gelareh

Hello Gelareh,

Hmm… a bit difficult… If there are is no converter, we are unable to verify if our fix can fulfill your need, as different converters may work differently, and this is in fact one of the issue of your thesis, right? Could suggest one of the converter to us?

Best regards,
Jick

Hello Gelareh,

Could you suggest a converter?

Best regards,
Jick