UML Models

I am new to UML, I am little bit confuse in UML diagrams and UML models. As for as my knowledge Model must be consist of diagrams. so my question is that how many models are in UML and which diagrams are associted with which model. please answer in the context of UML 2.0.

Hi Koeytuhay,

Thanks for your post. First of all, since UML is a complex language, please do not aim to understand everything in UML. Actually it is normal for a company to apply only about 20% of UML knowledge on their development, and it is fairly enough to complete the development (just like you apply only about 20% of all the English words in you life but still can survive).

In order to know how many models are in UML and which diagrams are associated with which model, you can refer to the OMG UML Superstructure at the following links:
Version 2.0
http://www.omg.org/spec/UML/2.0/Superstructure/PDF/

Version 2.1.2 (current version)
http://www.omg.org/spec/UML/2.1.2/Superstructure/PDF/

I suggest you can read some books for UML beginners such as “UML Distilled (Second Edition)” written by Grady Booch, Ivar Jacobson and James Rumbaugh. If there is any further inquiry, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

Thanks for the reply. I gone through this document sometimes back, but I could not find exact what actually I want. I dont want so much details, I want just the list of UML models and their concerned diagrams.

Hi Koeytuhay,

Thanks for your reply. We support the following UML diagrams:

• Use Case Diagram
  • Class Diagram
  • Sequence Diagram
  • Communication Diagram
  • State Machine Diagram
  • Activity Diagram
  • Component Diagram
  • Deployment Diagram
  • Package Diagram
  • Object Diagram
  • Composition Structure Diagram
  • Timing Diagram
  • Interaction Overview Diagram

And you can find the list of models in relevant diagrams in the UML v2.1.2 specification as listed as below:

• Use Case Diagram: section 16.4
  • Class Diagram + Package Diagram + Object Diagram: section 7.4
  • Sequence Diagram: table 14.1 + table 14.2 in section 14.4
  • Communication Diagram: table 14.3 + table 14.4 in section 14.4
  • State Machine Diagram: section 15.4
  • Activity Diagram: section 12.4
  • Component Diagram: section 8.4
  • Deployment Diagram: section 10.4
  • Composition Structure Diagram: section 9.4
  • Timing Diagram: table 14.6 in section 14.4
  • Interaction Overview Diagram: table 14.5 in section 14.4

If there is any further inquiry, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

Thank you Lilian Wong. I will gone through these in detail will try to find my answer. But in mean time can you explain what is a UML model?

Hi Koeytuhay,

Thanks for replying. UML model is a graphical notation of Unified Modeling Language (UML).
In the field of software engineering, UML is a standardized visual specification language for object modeling. It is a general-purpose modeling language which includes a graphical notation (UML model) for creating an abstract model of a system.

You can reading some UML books which is suitable to beginners, so that you can get more fundamental knowledge that facilitate your UML modeling work.
For instance: UML Distilled (Second Edition), written by Grady Booch, Ivar Jacobson and James Rumbaugh.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong.