Unexpected behavior while modelling messageflows from tasks in subprocesses to level n-1

Dear all.

I am experiencing some unexpected behavior while modelling messageflows from tasks in subprocesses to level n-1

When a message is send from a subprocess, the message flow can only be seen at toplevel (collapsed or inline view) (see screenshots 1 and 2 )

but CANNOT be seen in the actual subprocess (see screenshot 3)

What I expected that the messageflow would be shown in the subproces in some form or the other and that the message flow would be a reference. see screenshot " expected behavior"

I have considered just drawing an extra message flow in the subprocess (which I have done to create the screenshot “expected behaviour”) but then I have to keep those to message flows in sync manually. (when I delete the messageflow at toplevel I have to delete it in the subprocess as well)

There probably is a better way to keep messageflow in subprocesses in sync with the n-1 levels?

please advise
Mike

3_now_shown_in_subproces_itself.png

2_message_flow_shown_when_inline_viewed.png

1_message_flow_shown_when_collapsed.png

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your post. Although I cannot find your “expected behavior” screenshot, we will support presentation of message flow send from subprocess to pool on the subprocess diagram, and it’s planned to be supported in BP-VA 3.2 (on mid-December 2009 or January 2010).

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

Thank you. I will be eagerly waiting for that update!

Mike

For your convenience, I have included my suggestion named " expected behaviour".

Although I suspect there are more ways to present it.

Mike

expected_behavior.png

Hi Mike,

Thanks for replying with screenhshot of your expectation. I’ll pass to our development team.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

Hi Mike,

I would like to tell you that we implemented your requirement and release candidate (RC) of BP-VA 3.2 is available for testing. Please send me a private message if you are interested in trying the RC of BP-VA 3.2.

I would like to take this chance to explain more about this feature. You can show pool/lane from parent diagram on the subprocess diagram in BP-VA 3.2 (as shown as “bring_pool_lane_from_parent_dgm.png”), and draw the process as your “expected_behavior.png”.
And the pool/lane brought from parent diagram has indication on top right corner. You can always jump back to its view on parent diagram by the resources-centric interface (as shown as “jump_back_to_view_in_parent_dgm.png”).

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

jump_back_to_view_in_parent_dgm.png

bring_pool_lane_from_parent_dgm.png