Updated Teamwork Server - backup.bat stopped working

Hi everyone,

last week I noticed there was a new Teamwork Server (TS) version (20240101). I did not see a changelog but I went and downloaded the .zip file anyway. I updated the server and all seemed fine. Logged in to the admin console and the new version was there.
However, as I tried to execute the backup.bat file, this didn’t throw the “VPServerExport” directory as it usually does. In fact it nothing was written to the output folder (backup.bat -output D:\backups).
I checked the logs from the day I updated the TS but found nothing wrong with the update.
Perhaps someone from VP could shed some light?
Thanks in advance and if you need the logs please tell me where I should send them.
Regards,
J.

Thank you for reaching out to us. I apologize for the issue you encountered. I have forwarded the details to our engineering team for further investigation. I will keep you updated on any progress and appreciate your patience in this matter. If you have any additional questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to contact me. Have a great day!

I would like to let you know the unable perform server backup problem had been fixed. Please update the server with the patch build below to get the problem fixed. Feel free to contact me for any questions and wish you have a good day!

Download server patch package

Update VP Server

If there are any further inquiry, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Hello Rain,
thank you for you prompt reply.
I downloaded the .zip file and installed in the server via the admin page as per your instructions.
Unfortunately the backup did not take place. I tried the backup.bat file a few times with different parameters but nothing came out (no backup was made).
And now I’m seeing some warnings in the catalina.log file:

25-Jan-2024 12:29:02.543 WARNING [localhost-startStop-1] sun.awt.shell.Win32ShellFolderManager2.getPersonal Cannot access ‘Personal’
java.io.IOException: Could not get shell folder ID list
at java.desktop/sun.awt.shell.Win32ShellFolder2.getFileSystemPath0(Native Method)
at java.desktop/sun.awt.shell.Win32ShellFolder2$7.call(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/sun.awt.shell.Win32ShellFolderManager2$ComInvoker$1.run(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
25-Jan-2024 12:29:02.543 WARNING [localhost-startStop-1] sun.awt.shell.Win32ShellFolderManager2.getDesktop Cannot access ‘Desktop’
java.io.IOException: Could not get shell folder ID list
at java.desktop/sun.awt.shell.Win32ShellFolder2.getFileSystemPath0(Native Method)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/sun.awt.shell.Win32ShellFolderManager2$ComInvoker$1.run(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

If you need more info I’ll gladly help.
Regards,
J.

That was strange since I do able to repeat the problem, then tested the patch in person and confirm it works in my environment. Would you please send me the vpserver.log file generated in the scripts folder of your server for diagnosis. You can send it to support-team@visual-paradigm.com if you don’t want your log file being expose to public. Please include the URL of this forum post when you send us the log file. Thanks and look forward to hearing from you.

Hello Rain,
just sent you an email with the log file.
Regards,
J.

Thanks for the log files and we found that the patch build we previously sent you was not fully fixed the problem. Please download the patch build below to get the problem fixed. Feel free to contact me for any questions and wish you have a good day!

Hi Rain
the latest patch did the trick!
I just did a test backup with the backup.bat file and everything’s working like before.
Thanks for your time and help!
Regards,
J.