Use Case Details - Draggable Column Borders

Hello,

Regarding the Use Case Details screen.

VP-UML Version 6.0 Build sp1_20070420w
Mac OS X 10.4.9

Most column borders on this screen can be dragged and positioned as expected.

The borders between columns 3 and 4, and 4 and 5 seem to behave erratically and cannot be positioned as expected, resulting in a somewhat chaotic screen organization where more than one Flow of Events has been defined.

See attached screen shot.

It would be wonderful if these columns would behave as the others on this screen. That is, they should be uniform across all rows (top to bottom) and be freely draggable to any reasonable position.

Please let me know if this enhancement can be made.

Regards,

-Glen
UseCaseDetail.png.zip

Hello Glen,

Thank you for your post once again. I tried to create a use case description following your image. Besides the erratically column resizing behaviors, also find other areas that we can improve. Thanks to your post. I forwarded all the issues to our engineers. We will try to fix them up as soon as possible.

Best regards,
Jick

Hello Glen,

This is Jick again. The resize problem occurred in use case detail is fixed. Please download the patch at:
http://files3.visual-paradigm.com/200705/Patch/sp1_20070421f/vpplatform.jar

To install the patch:

1. Shutdown any running instances of VP
  2. Replace $vp-suite-install-dir/lib/vpplatform.jar with the downloaded jar file
  3. Run $vp-suite-install-dir/bin/VP Suite.exe to install the patch
  4. Restart the application

Note:

1. If you are going to download with Internet Explorer, you may need to rename the file from .zip to .jar manually
  2. Please do not run Product Update after applying the patch. Otherwise the update will replace the patch with the previous version (I will inform you to run the update when the next release is ready)

Best regards,
Jick

Hi Jick,

Thanks for the patch!

With regard to creating a new Use Case Details/Description page with several Flow of Events blocks, the patch solves the immediate problem. Columns are now neatly aligned, as they should be while creating new Flow of Events blocks.

Unfortunately, it hasn’t really made a difference for existing Use Case Details/Description pages. Attempting to line up existing column borders for several Flow of Events blocks varies from being difficult to impossible.

These usability characteristics appear in new Use Case Details/Description pages as soon as the column borders are moved.

To demonstrate:

1. Create a Use Case Details/Description page with several simple Flow of Events blocks.

2. In at least one Flow of Events block, enter enough text to cause word wrapping to occur.

3. Expand the Description page by dragging the right border of the Use Case Details/Description page. Notice that the column borders go out of alignment.

4. Now try to get the column borders to align vertically for all Flow of Events blocks.

It would be nice if all vertical column borders behaved as a single border rather than independent column borders for each Flow of Events block. I would always want all columns to be neatly aligned, and resizing columns would be much easier if there was only one column border to work with.

Overall, this is an improvement, but there is still work to be done here.

Best regards,

-Glen