Use Case Details - Flow of Events - Multiple Actors

Hello,

I am trying to describe a Use Case with the ‘Use Case Details’ form.
In my use case there are more then one actor, I couldn’t find a way to add more actors to the ‘Flow of Events’ table, is it possible? and if so how?
I also have in my system two sub systems that one acts as an actor of the other one, is it possible to represent it in the ‘Flow of Events’ table, I mean, is it possible/correct to put more then one ‘System’ in the System Sequence Diagram?
another thing is the system’s self action, how do I represent this in the ‘Flow of Events’ table ?

Thank you very much, Gilad

Hi zirkel,

Let me answer your questions one by one.

In my use case there are more then one actor, I couldn’t find a way to add more actors to the ‘Flow of Events’ table, is it possible? and if so how?

This is not correct to show multiple actors in one flow of events section. I am not talking about the limitation of the tool but the principal of flow of events. A flow of events section must be used to present the interactions between ONE particular actor and the system under a scenario. For your case, you can present in multiple use case description tables that results in multiple flow of events. By the way, have you think of presenting by Communication Diagram?

I also have in my system two sub systems that one acts as an actor of the other one, is it possible to represent it in the ‘Flow of Events’ table

Sorry, but I am unclear about what you mean by one subsystem acts as an actor of the other one, because Actor should be external to the system, rather than a part of the system. If your system level sequence diagram is derived from the flow of events, it should be related to only one system. To be specific, the diagram should show the talks between actor and the system.

another thing is the system’s self action, how do I represent this in the ‘Flow of Events’ table

Could you give an example for this one?

Best regards,
Jick

It sounds to me like you may be struggling with working within the Use Case paradigm rather than with the tool. You might check out the book “Advanced Use Case Modeling” by Frank Armour and Granville Miller. It helped me understand use cases a lot better and how to use them.