User aren't be able to change their workspace

Hello,
I installed Visual Paradigm for UML 6.2 Standard Edition as Administrator on an Windows XP Computer.
If the Administrator wants do change the workspace it works.
Now there are other users on the PC who want to use VP.
If they try to change the workspace, no error appears,
but the workspace they work with is the same which the Administrator chose before, not the path they want to work with.
I hope you can help me
Best regards
Silke

Hi Silke,

Thanks for your post. Your case is a normal case since writing permission to the VP installation directory is required for changing workspace. For other users to change to a workspace they want, please release the writing permission to them.

If there are any inquiries, please do not hesitate to contact me again.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

Hi Lean Wong,

thanks for your reply. After having changed the writing permission it seems to work.
However I have a few other problems with your proposal.
For you to understand the problem, I must explain that we work here at a highschool with many students. Each student has his own home directory on z:
They can store everything in this folder.
There are a lot of students who work at the same computer every day.
So the problems are:

1. The students should not be in the position to write to the installation path. If there are not any posibilities to store the workspace information to z:, please tell me which special folder I have to change so that I can minimize the place with more rights.

2. If the first student sets a workspace in a special folder in his home directory, the second student gets the same folder, but in his home directory he doesn’t have this path. The student has to change his workspace every time he works on this PC.

3. I want to start visual paradigm with a parameter, so that a new student has a default folder for his work. However this folder has to be on his z: home directory and not on his profile. Is there a way to start with an default workspace by parameter?

Best regards
Silke

Hi Silke,

Thanks for your reply. Regarding to your questions:

1. I can understand your case. In fact, the application data (including the data of the workspace path) is stored in the “bin” folder and the “resources” folder inside the VP installation directory, you can simply release the writing permission to these two folders for your students.

2. We are sorry that currently the students still need to specify the workspace every time they run the VP application. However, we will support to store the application data in the user’s home directory in the future (if they cannot be stored in the VP installation directory, it will be stored in the user’s home directory instead).
    If there is any news about this issue, I’ll notify you at once.

3. In order to startup VP with particular workspace, please use the command line to start VP:
    “Visual Paradigm for UML 6.2.exe” -data %path_to_workspace%

I hope these will help. If there are any problems, please let me know.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

Hi Lilian Wong,

thank you for your reply. It helps much. :slight_smile:

Best regards
Silke

Hi Silke,

You are welcome. If you have any other inquiries, please do not hesitate to contact me again.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong