Visual Paradigm and a large project?

Hi,

I’ve been using Visual Paradigm for some school projects a couple of years ago and am now exploring it again using a trial to see if we can use it for a work project. My overall question is how well Visual Paradigm handles a large project - our initial estimate is more than 200 use cases for the primary system with a lot of extra subsystems to add.

My concern is looking at the Diagram Navigator and I suspect it’ll be next to impossible to find anything once you get enough diagrams. You can of course group things in the Model Explorer using packages making it into a tree structure but there will still be a huge amount of elements. Another concern is once we’re done and we get a change request how can we search for related diagrams, use cases and such to ensure that we update all relevant data.

Did I fail to notice any important feature? Do you have any suggestions? What do you do?

Thanks in advance.

Hi user,

Sorry for my late response. We understand the concern on product performance when working with a large project, as this affect the efficiency and productivity. Therefore we supports some useful features for user to find out models/diagrams they want in a short time.

First of all, we recommend users to have good management of model elements as this will help users to understand the model structure of project and easily figure out where a model elements is located.
In the application, you can see the Model Explorer pane which stores all model elements in your project. You can create Models or packages to contain the model elements or even diagrams (as sub-diagrams of the Model/package).

In the following flash movie and attached sample project, you can see how Models and packages help representing the business process and models for code engineering in a project. And you can see some more explanation of what do the Models/packages present in attached image.
http://files4.visual-paradigm.com/200907/create_Model_and_diagrams.htm

Besides model organization for easier access of model elements, we provide a shortcut for accessing the model or diagram you need.
The Jump To feature let you enter name of model or diagram, and jump to it instantly you confirm which is the model/diagram you want. We support wide card “*” when entering name for jumping to model/diagram.

• Press Ctrl+J can jump to element in active diagram
  • Press Ctrl+Shift+J can jump to element in project
  • Press Ctrl+Shift+D can jump to diagram in project
    You can get details about Jump To element and diagram features from the below links respectively:
    Easy-to-Use UML Tool
    Easy-to-Use UML Tool

Sometimes we need to find out a bunch of model elements that are with specific aspect (e.g. name), the Find function will play this role.
Press Ctrl+F can activate the Find function, and you can enter name of model element and specify scope like documentation, mode type for searching the elements you want.
And we will enhance the Find function in VP Suite 4.1 (expected to be released on September this year). We will add more scopes for search and support wide card “*” in Find function. I’ll let you know if there is any further news on Find function enhancement.

It’s usual for a model to have multiple views on different diagrams, but it’s like finding a needle in a haystack if you are working on a large project.
We support showing view of model - you can get to the diagram(s) that the model exists by right-click on a model in Model Explorer (select Show View) or right-click on a model on diagram (select related Elements > Show Other Views). Selecting the diagram from the list if views will bring you to the diagram.
More details about showing view of can be found from:

Analysis of related models and diagnosis of impact on a model are important works during modeling. We will support Analysis Diagram in the future. Analysis Diagram will be useful to trace the related model elements/diagrams of a model. I’ll keep you informed for any news on Analysis Diagram support.

In terms of performance of application for large project, as we support lazy-loading, we will not load all model elements in the project when it’s opened. This saves time of project opening and memory usage.

And if your project is too large that requires larger heap size than the default one, we will prompt users when users open a large project. This can help avoiding out of memory problem when working with large project.

Last but not least, we do have users that are working on really large projects (over 40 MB) and they don’t have any performance problem.

BTW, we also have features that facilitates reuse of models, finding related elements, etc. Please feel free to contact us if you have any requirement of modeling.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

models_management.png
FireSafetyDepartment.vpp

Hi user,

I would like to remind you that you may need to increase the volume of your headphone/speaker as the flash movie is with voice in small volume.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

Hi user,

I would like to let you know that we enhanced the Find function to support wide card “*” and deployed Release Candidate (RC) of VP Suite 4.1, which is available for testing. Please let me know if you are interested in testing the Find function in RC (and send me a private message with your email address).

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

Hi user,

I’m glad to announce that we just released VP-UML 7.1 and Find function is greatly enhanced. Besides support wide-card “*” for searching, we also changed the interface of Find dialog so that you can select the model types and stereotypes as well as the container in your project easily.

Please feel free to download the evaluation version from our website ( http://www.visual-paradigm.com/download/ ).

BTW, details about new features and enhancements in VP-UML 7.1 can be found from:
http://www.visual-paradigm.com/support/vpuml/releasenotes/710.jsp

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

Hi user,

Besides enhanced the Find function, we also support Analysis Diagram and Matrix for impact analysis in VP-UML 7.1.
Analysis Diagram helps you to identify full consequences of changes before you really make changes, and Matrix gives a macro view of relationships and dependencies between set of model elements. Please find details about Analysis Diagram and Matrix from the following link:

http://www.visual-paradigm.com/product/vpuml/provides/impactanalysis.jsp

We also provide tutorial of Analysis Diagram and Matrix at the following links respectively, hopefully they can help you to familiar with these new features:

http://www.visual-paradigm.com/product/vpuml/tutorials/impactanalysiswithanalysis.jsp
http://www.visual-paradigm.com/product/vpuml/tutorials/impactanalysiswithmatrix.jsp

Best regards,
Lilian Wong