VP-UML, Linux and JRE

Hi,

Perhaps I’ve missed it, but I can’t seem to find an explanation for the difference between the ‘Java Enabled Platform’ edition of VP-UML and the Linux one, apart from the fact that the Linux version appears to ship with its own JRE. I already have Sun’s JDK 5 installed, so I don’t really want to install another JRE somewhere else - do I download and install the ‘Java Enabled Platform’ edition?

Cheers,

Richard.

Dear Richard,

Yes, you can also use ‘Java Enabled Platform’ edition on Linux.

Regards,

Antony.

I thought I should be able to, but when I tried that I kept getting an InvocationTargetException from LAX (BTW, what does the X stand for? Did the authors just want Launch Anywhere to sound like an airport?!). ‘Details’ yields this:

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/crimson/tree/XmlDocumentBuilder
at v.jvy.(Unknown Source)
at v.jvy.j(Unknown Source)
at v.kvd.a(Unknown Source)
at RV.main(Unknown Source)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:585)
at com.zerog.lax.LAX.launch(DashoA8113)
at com.zerog.lax.LAX.main(DashoA8113)

My JRE is the one shipped with the latest JDK 1.5.0.

I also get this error if I use the Linux distro and remove its jre directory - LAX finds the JDK 1.5.0 JRE and falls over trying to use it. If I replace that jre and modify the .lax file to use it then all’s well.

Is this a bug with LAX or with Visual Paradigm or is it a known incompatibility? If it is, should I put all this into VP’s Bugzilla?

Cheers,

Richard.

Dear Richard,

We will investigate this issue and give you a prompt reply as soon as possible.

Regards,

Antony.

Dear Richard,

After our investigation, it is due to a bug in the installer program that we cannot control. As a workaround, please download our “No Install” setup file to run VP-UML. We are sorry for any inconvenience.

Regards,

Antony.

See my post about running with JDK 1.5.0.