VP UML vs SDE

I am trying to figure out which product(s) I need for a project. Your site has a lot of good technical information but nothing (that I can find) about how and which users would use the different products.

My questions are about the VP-UML vs the SDE-NB.

Are these the same products for different users (bus analysts vs developers)?

Do I need both for my team (which consists of bus analyst and developers)?

When I use your Product Comparison for SDE-NB vs VP-UML (Enterprise Edition) they do the same thing except for the IDE integration (naturally).

Since the price for both EE is the same, what is the benefit of using the SDE-NB?

Hi champeaudavid,

Thank you for your post and sorry to keep you waiting. You mentioned “Enterprise Edition” in your post, so I suppose you are interested in knowing the comparison between VP-UML EE and SDE-EE NB (EE stand for Enterprise Edition).

Basically, VP-UML and (any) SDE are the same for the same edition, except features like having different look and feel and how they integrate with the IDE.

VP-UML is a standalone product that can run WITHOUT having the IDE ready. You can integrate VP-UML and NetBeans by installing the integration that comes with the Professional and Enterprise Edition. With the integration, VP-UML and NetBeans will run in separate windows (and processes). Therefore, memory consumption could be a concern.

In contrast to VP-UML, SDE cannot run alone. It must run with the existence of an IDE, which depends on the product you choose. In your case, it is the NetBeans. For SDE, the visual modeling environment is seamlessly integrated with the IDE. You need not to switch between windows back and forth.

Both VP-UML’s NetBeans integration and SDE-NB supports round-trip engineering in the Professional and Enterprise Edition.

Let’s go back to your questions.

My questions are about the VP-UML vs the SDE-NB.

Are these the same products for different users (bus analysts vs developers)?

VP-UML and SDE-NB are different products which require separate licenses.

Do I need both for my team (which consists of bus analyst and developers)?

It really depends on your need. In my opinion, if part of your team focus on modeling, while another focus on coding, you may consider purchasing VP-UML Modeler Edition for modeling, and SDE for NetBeans Professional/Enterprise Edition for implementation. If you can provide us with more information about your team, we can provide you with more concrete answer.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,
Jick