What happened to the 'long' data type?

It seems that the ‘long’ data type has disappeared. If I try to create an entity (in an ER diagram), I cannot define a key as ‘long’. I basically want to create a key ‘id’ with a increment ID Generator.

My choice is a ‘bigint’ which does not work because hibernate throws a “org.hibernate.id.IdentifierGenerationException: this id generator generates long, integer, short or string” when trying to persist this object. I do not want to use a standard integer because I need a long to support millions of records.

What is the logic behing removing the ‘long’ data type?

Hello jvence,

May I know what database you are using?

Best regards,
Rain Wong

[quote=admin]Hello jvence,

May I know what database you are using?

Best regards,
Rain Wong[/quote]

MYSQL 5.0.45 - The issue is that DBVA’s ER entity does not have an option for specifying a ‘long’ data type. Do you think it’s an database issue.

Hello jvence,

The reason why there is no “long” in the db column is because “long” is not a valid type in MySQL (see http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/numeric-types.html ). We have tested using “bigint” in ID column and mapped to “long” in class attribute which working fine with incremental id generator. May I know what type you mapped for “bigint” in class model?

Best regards,
Rain Wong