Which diagram to use?

Hi all,
I’m new to UML and would like your advice please.
My company uses a charts application to display charts about how well the company is doing.
These charts use data collected from our live SQL db.

These are the processes that I’d like to document in an UML diagram:
–SQL Scheduler:
----Job 1: Data collected from our live SQL db (runs at 6am)
–Charts application scheduler:
----Job 2: gets the collected data into the off the charts application own db in a new format (runs at 7am)
----Job 3: this task makes the charts ready for users (runs at 8am)

These 3 steps are not related at all and if one step fails the rest will still run but the charts will be incorrect.
I thought the best diagram to use is the “sequence diagram” but this requires messages that flow between
activities?
As you can see there’s no messages flowing and these jobs run at certain times of the day.

How would you document these steps?
Thanks in advance.
W.

Hi W.,

These 3 steps are not related at all and if one step fails the rest will still run but the charts will be incorrect.

So they do seem to be related, but I think you mean the jobs are scheduled independently.

To me an activity diagram seems appropriate to model this. I guess I’d model this as if the jobs actually depend on each other. I suppose you should change your setup accordingly, so that the failure of one job is handled and logically following jobs don’t deal with wrong data.

Stefan

Hello W.

If I understand correctly, you mean they run indepently from each other but they still do influence each other. If that’s the case, I’d say the tasks actually are related. I’m no UML expert, but I think an activity diagram would be appropriate.

Stefan