XMI import from Together Control 6.0

Hi,

I want to import a complete activity project from Together Control 6.0.1 to VP UML Community Edition. What must I do?
I have exported first the whole project as XMI 1.1 for UML 1.3 (Unisys Extension, recommended for Rose) and then imported into VP, but nothing happens. Then I exported only one activity diagram and imported to VP, but only the activities, were imported…

Please help, cause the project is very big (more than 20 activity diagrams, structured in many packages …) and I won’t create all new in VP - over one week work :frowning:

Regards,

Thomas

Dear Thomas,

Thank you for your interest in our products. Could you mind tell me what version of VP-UML that you are using? We only support the XMI 1.2 in the 5.0 version. If you are using the older version, please download our latest release and try again.

Best regards,
Rain

Hi Rain,

thanks for answering. I am using VP-UML V5.0. About the XMI version - I can suggest out of 6 possibilities to export a diagram from Together into XMI. But I don’t knowing which ones (cause I am at work). If there is XMI 1.2 export under these possibilities I will posted it later as I am back at home.

Regards,

Thomas

Hi Rain,

here are the possibilities from the XMI window:

XMI 1.1 for UML 1.3 (Unisys Extension)
XMI 1.1 for UML 1.3 (Unisys Extension, recommended for Rose)
XMI 1.1 for UML 1.4 (OMG)
XMI 1.0 for UML 1.3 (Unisys Extension)
XMI 1.0 for UML 1.1 (Unisys Extension)
XMI 1.0 for UML 1.1 (IBM Toolkit)
XMI 1.0 for UML 1.1 (OMG)

Which onw should I select?
By the way, I can select an encoding type, too. At the moment UTF-8 is selected …

Regards,

Thomas

P.S.: Sorry about my last posting as anonymous - I have forgotten to login
:oops:

Sorry I have wait to long - timeout :cry:
Regards,

Thomas

Dear Thomas,

Thanks for replying. Currently we only support import and export XMI 1.2 version. Therefore all the options in Together 6 will not work. I’ve forwarded this message to our engineers to investigate the possibility of supporting the XMI 1.0 and 1.1. I’ll come back to you immediately once there are any feedbacks. If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us again.

Best regards,
Rain

Hi Rain,

in your documentation (user’s guide part 1) I found on page 114 (XMI Export/Import) that VP supports the first three XMI possibilities from the Together list (with XMI 1.1). Is this support only in the proffesional versions active/usable? Or does you mean only XMI 1.2 structure from Together is supported from VP-UML?

I am looking forward to your answers. Thanks.

Best Regards,

Thomas

Dear Thomas,

I guess the document is incorrect. Currently we only support the XMI 1.2. But I’ve just talk to our engineers and confirmed that we will provide support the import of XMI 1.0 and 1.1 very soon. I’ll keep you inform on any news about this issue and send you the Early Access version once it was ready.

Please feel free to contact us if you have any further questions.

Best regards,
Rain

Hello Rain,

thanks for your reply. It would be great, if your developer could implement XMI 1.1 :slight_smile:

I wondering, that only XMI 1.2 is suported as I red the discussion ‘XMI Import’, author GiorgioO … see cut out below:

written from Iwan:

In the meantime I used a friend’s copy of Together CC 6.0.1 to import Poseidon’s XMI and then import Together’s exported XMI into VP UML 3.0 Pro and that seemed to be working"

In this discussion VP only supports XMI 1.1 while Poseidon XMI 1.2 files created…

Ok, let’s wait what your developer will say. By the way, I have found another problem with the XMI import. As I import only one diagram, the activities, notes, start/stop point, etc was imported (I wrote it in the beginning of our discussion). I thought, ok, let’s check the functionality of VP-UML while import discussion is in float. I created the diagramm and it seems very nice.
Then I have imported the next one - no good idea - the first diagram exists, but not like before the import: actions were changed -other text stands suddenly in some action bubbles - text from the 2nd import … :?

If you want to test it, I can attach two imported diagramms from Together as I’m back at home.

Regards,

Thomas

Dear Thomas,

We have support the XMI 1.0 and 1,1 in the order versions. But in 5.0, we only support the 1.2, and we are now going to support it again.

The samples for reproduce your second problem could be very useful for us to investigate the problem. Please send it to rain@visual-paradigm.com or send me through private email. Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Rain

Hello Rain,

is it possible to get the VP UML 3.0 Pro with an evaluation key to import the Together XMI into VP and then import these VP project into VP-UML V5?

This could be a workaround till your developer implemented XMI 1.1 in VP-UML V5.

Regards,

Thomas

Dear Thomas,

There could be some problem because VP-UML 3 didn’t support UML 2.0. If you wish to have a try, I can give you a short evaluation key (15 days) for the previous version (ver. 4.1 which supports UML 2.0). Please send me your user name and email address to me through private message for generating the evaluation key.

Best regards,
Rain

Hello Rain,

Now I’ve tested the two VP versions. Here are the results:

VP-UML V3 Pro:
I haven’t accomplished to activate the no_install version under linux, so I have tested it under Windows 98, but the evaluation key was invalid :frowning:

VP-UML V4:
The key worked.

I have imported one diagram successfully with all activities and transitions :). But if I take the second one, the activities were replaced again as in VP-UML V5 :frowning:

Also, when I created a new diagram, cut and pasted the sheme into the new one, the same behaviour occurs after importing the second XMI. Therefore a new problem occurs then on the second import - if I haven’t deleted the activity diagram from the first import, no activities and transitions from the second import will be created in the diagram! Very strange …

The whole project (all diagrams) was imported successfully, but no activities and transitions were created in the diagrams. Also when I marked all activities and transitions and want to copy them into a diagram via drag’n’drop nothing happens :frowning:

So please could you sent me a valid eval key for the VP-UML V3 Pro again and test this key before with the no_install version you’ve been sent me under the link in your last message?

If the import in V3 won’t work too, I must willy-nilly create all diagrams newly in VP-UML V5 … I hope I mustn’t do that, cause so much work …

By the way - only ‘XMI 1.1 for UML 1.3 (Unisys Extension, recommended for Rose)’ has worked correctly (activities and transitions were created). The rest from Together exports failed more or less. And I have to create a project with UML 1.x for correct import.

Thanks for helping so much. A great laud to to you and Visual Paradigm. It’s not normal, that companies will spend so much time as you do on a problem in a community edition!

Best Regards

Thomas

Dear Thomas,

I’m sorry about the error in the V3 license key. I’ve send you the new evaluation key through private message. Please let me know it helps to solve your problem or not. Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Rain

Hello Rain,

thanks for the new key - it worked :slight_smile:

also the import !! Only one diagram creates an error, but that’s no problem - it is a small one.

the import into VP-UML V5 works correctly too :stuck_out_tongue:

Here the procedure:

1.) I have created for each diagram a xmi file ( XMI 1.1 for UML 1.3 (Unisys Extension, recommended for Rose)) cause the whole project couldn’t imported into VP-UML V3.
2.) Over ‘Tools->Import XMI’ I have imported all the diagrams into VP-UML V3.
3.) Saved the project and imported it into a new UML1.x VP-UML V5 project. All diagrams looks good :lol:

I thank you very much for helping. It has save me much time so far :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

By the way - I have one question yet:
How can I change the background color of all activities to one color? Is there a default setting for e.g. decision or action icons? I have searched in the settings, but haven’t found anything, because all icons have the default color from VP-UML V3 (purple) and the standard in VP-UML V5 is blue …

Best Regards,

Thomas

Dear Thomas,

I’m glad to hear that the key and import works. For the default color, you can

1. select a shape (decision or activity)
  2. select the Fill row in the Property pane and press the “…” button
  3. In the Format Fill Color dialog, select Gradient and choose Blue in the Gradient Color Themes
  4. Check the Set as Default button at the bottom of the dialog. If you just want the color to be default of the selected shape, select Set as default for Activity (or Decision). Otherwise choosing Set as default for All Shapes will make it become the default color for all newly created shapes.
  5. Press OK. The new color will apply to the selected shapes.

Please feel free to contact us again if you have any further questions.

Best regards,
Rain