Datatypes missing

After importing a projekt, i can’t choose data types like bool or datetime.
I am using a Visual Paradigm Architect Java Edition and try to finish the ERD.

In another imported project i have the possibility to choose a datatype bool or
datetime.

Is there any preference i have to change?

Thanks in advance.

Vanek

0 Likes

[quote=vanek]After importing a projekt, i can’t choose data types like bool or datetime.
I am using a Visual Paradigm Architect Java Edition and try to finish the ERD.

In another imported project i have the possibility to choose a datatype bool or
datetime.

Is there any preference i have to change?

Thanks in advance.

Vanek [/quote]

it is really urgent.

any ideas, why i can’t choose several data types.

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes

Step 1:
Select the Entity then press enter -it’ll bring out the “Entity Specification” window.

Step 2
Within the “Entity Specification” window, select the “Columns” tab, then add the data type you want.

Use the “bit” data type for boolean values. For the datetime data type, since that data type is missing in Visual Paradigm, you could temporarily use the timestamp data type then convert it to datetime when you’re going to generate the sql. Make a note of it so you don’t forget!

A little caution regarding the difference between datetime and timestamp
Although both the timestamp and datetime data types store the values with the same formatting: “YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS”, they both differ on the data range, the data size and the way the DBMSes retrieve and store those data types. Usually DBMSes will convert the timestamp data to the clients timezone before sending it to the client, whereas regarding the datetime data type, they don’t (ex:MySQL). Oracle handles this differently, they have 3 timestamp types, so it varies. Becareful and don’t forget :slight_smile:

0 Likes

I’m assuming you solved your issue but if you’re still having problems then it might be a better idea to create a new thread rather than comment on something which is 7 years old. Problem is that many things changed over time :wink:

Generally speaking though: the lack of datatypes would (in this day & age) usually hint at missing (or misconfigured) languages, this is a per-project setting.

Go to Windows -> Project Options and you’ll find the “Data Type” section in there. That’s where you can define the (programming) languages to use which will also configure the available datatypes:

Hope this can still help!

1 Like