Is there a way to import an ERD file that has been generated from XRMToolBox for MS Dynamics?

erd

I am attempting to document an instance of the MS Dynamics 365, and have been able to get in and get the a view of the ERD using a XRMToolBox for MS Dynamics plugin.

However, I now have data I want to add to my Visual Paradigm DIagrams but can’t work out hoe to import it.
I have searched and haven’t even been able to find an application that I can open the ERD file.

Does anyone have any suggestions or thoughts on how to achieve this without manually building all the entities?

Any ideas?

0 Likes

It’s hard to comment on this because it heavily depends on the kind of data file which you managed to produce. So: what does it contain? Can it be opened by an editor such as notepad (which would be the case if it uses an XML format)?

0 Likes

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Unless you are well versed in Dynamics 365, i doubt that my issue will have ever surfaced.
The ERD file (*.ERD) is produced by a specific D365 utility tool and so far I have not been able to locate any other product that can use this file meaningfully.

If opened with notepad, for example, it is unreadable.

I guess I am seeking to find out if anyone else out there has attempted to document Microsoft Dynamics 365 structures using Visual Paradigm.

Thanks

0 Likes

The main problem is that an “ERD file” (the erd extension) doesn’t really tell us much useful about the file format. I looked up the XRM toolbox as well as its software repository and that brings me to another question: which plugins (extensions) are you using that allow you to save ERD files?

Note that I don’t have experience with MS Dynamics but I am trying to get enough information which might help to find a solution…

Correct me if I’m wrong please: if I understand correctly you use the XrmToolbox to connect to your Dynamics 365 environment (which is hosted in the cloud) and you then extract data from it. You use a plugin for XrmToolbox which can visualize this data as an ERD diagram, which you then save as an .erd file.

As such my question: what plugin? Would that be Chart manager by any chance?

Because that would be something that some of us might be able to use. I already checked out their GitHub repository, discovered that it was (most likely) set up with Visual Studio (I conclude as much from a so called “solution file” (*.sln) which I found) but I get tons of errors because I’m missing SDK’s (development kits; in order to program against a program you need an API of some sort to work with).

So I fired up VS Code instead and I think I already discovered the routine which loads / imports the data:

No promises, and definitely no guarantees, but this might give us a clue about the file format. And once you know the file format then you have a much better chance of determining if the data can be imported or converted somehow.

1 Like

WOW. - You have gone to a lot of effort - Thanks.

The XRMToolBox plugin is actually called “Entity Relationship Diagram”

0 Likes