Multiple Staging and Multiple client website digram

Hi,

So I was tasked at work to create a UML digram of our website, including information about our website, web services, web servers and databases. Also I need to include all 3 stages of the website (developtment, testing, production), each stage has its own web server and its own databases.

I have scowered the internet but could not find a model that fits the information I want to include, and since Management enjoys buzzwords like UML, I am trying to find the proper way to do this.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advanced.

Hi user,

Thank you for your post. We support adding Model (e.g. Analysis Model, Deployment Model) which you can use for distinguish the stages of your development. You can add new or existing diagrams as sub-diagram of the Model for elaboration of the stage. Please refer to the following link for usage of Model:
http://www.visual-paradigm.com/product/vpuml/provides/diagramtools.jsp#modelorganization

Does this help?

By the way, managing models and diagrams with Models (packages) improve the speed of opening diagram since we support lazy-loading. Model Elements in Model and packages will not be loaded at the point the project is opened by lazy-loading. So I would recommend not to put all your model elements in root level of project. :wink:

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

While its a bit unusual (at least to me) to try and describe a website using UML’s its actually quite a good idea in my opinion, considering how UML is basically all about modeling. If you can setup the structure of a program, why not a website? Heck, I’ve seen people use UML to document and display their network hierarchy. It wouldn’t be my first pick, but it can be done.

Personally I’d definitely look at the use case to reflect on what functionality your website (should) offer(s). This will allow you to quickly display the options the visitors have and if those are differentiated. For example; if the site has an admin panel or is CMS based it would make a difference if you’re a user or admin.

Next a component diagram might be useful to reflect on the different sections which make up your website (assuming that this is the case). For example; an admin panel could be portrait as a different part of the website. Same could be said about a menu, or a content pane. Etc.

I could imagine that a sequence diagram could be very useful when you’re indeed dealing with some sort of CMS; it could clearly reflect on things as logging onto a website and portraying everything which goes on after that.

And finally I think a deployment diagram is a requirement here. That allows you to fully reflect on how your website is actually setup.

Alas, just my 2 cents here.