Problem importing XMI from MagicDraw

Hi,

I’m trying to import an XMI file generated with MagicDraw UML 10.0. The import process starts but stops without any error message after about 10% of processing.

Here is an header extract of the XMI file generated by MagicDraw :

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>

<xmi:XMI xmi:version=“2.1” timestamp="Fri Nov 18 11:25:32 EST 2005"
xmlns:uml="http://schema.omg.org/spec/UML/2.0"
xmlns:xmi=“http://schema.omg.org/spec/XMI/2.1”>

Hi Mr.B,

Thank you for your message and we are sorry for any inconvenience this problem may cause you. Although XMI is a standard for exchanging metadata information via XML, in real world, every vendors have its way in implementing the standard (especially in translating diagrams). This is probably the root cause of the problem.

For your problem, would you mind sending me your XMI file to have a look? We will try our best to solve your problem. You can reach me at jick@visual-paradigm.com

Look forward to hearing from you again.

Best Regards,
Jick

Hi Mr.B,

Your XMI file is in version 2.1, one we do not support at the moment. Actually we are now working on the support of XMI 2.1 and this will be supported in the coming version (VP-UML 5.2), which is expected to be released in January 2006.

Currently, we support XMI version up to 2.0.

If any further questions, please let me know.

Best Regards,
Jick

Hi, I’m bringing this thread back from the dead. :smiley:

I am currently using MagicDraw 12.1, and stumbled across VP6, and it looks very promising! One key point during my evaluation period is determining how well it can import / export with MagicDraw.

I just exported my model as XMI for UML2, and when I import the project into VP, it says that it imported successfully. However, no diagrams are added to the project. Am I doing something stupid? Can you offer me any tips on debugging this little problem I’m having?

Thanks!

Hello dmatsumoto,

Thank you for your post.

Although you have not mention, I guess that you were trying to import into VP-UML an XMI exported from MagicDraw. Could you post your XMI file here so that we can check what the problem is? If you mind posting here, you can send me an email. My email address is:
jick@visual-paradigm.com

Best regards,
Jick

[quote=Jick]Hello dmatsumoto,

Thank you for your post.

Although you have not mention, I guess that you were trying to import into VP-UML an XMI exported from MagicDraw. Could you post your XMI file here so that we can check what the problem is? If you mind posting here, you can send me an email. My email address is:
jick@visual-paradigm.com

Best regards,
Jick[/quote]

Hi Jick,

Thanks for the response! Actually, I don’t even have to post my complicated project. A simple MD 12.1 model with one class doesn’t seem to convert, although no errors are generated. I’ve zipped the files and included them in my post. Please let me know what you find!

Once again, I’m using MagicDraw 12.1, and exported as EMF UML2 (1.x) XMI, since that’s the only option available in MD. In the SDE, I chose Import → XMI.
VP_import_test.zip

Hello dmatsumoto,

Your UML2 file doesn’t include diagram data. I suggest you do in another way. Please try to save the MagicDraw project into "Extensible Markup Language (*.xml)"file instead of their own format. You can find this option from their Save dialog. Then, you can import it into VP through importing XMI (note: Here is XMI, not XML).

Best regards,
Jick

I will do that and will get back to you. Thank you!

EDIT – Ok, I tried that, and it still didn’t work with the simple model (attached).

If I import XMI, it looks like it’s converting but doesn’t add anything to the project once it’s done. If I import XML, it tells me XML Import Complete at the end of the process, but also doesn’t add anything. Just for fun, I tested in the SDE as well as the standalone application.

Can you please look at this XML? Maybe it’s a MagicDraw bug?

EDIT #2 – I looked at the VP project some more after the import, and the class that I had created is actually there, but the class diagram that contains the class isn’t.
vp_import_test.xml

Hello dmatsumoto,

It may be the XML (XMI, actually) that has no diagram information defined. I have to check with our engineers. I will come back to you as soon as possible.

Best regards,
Jick

Hello dmatsumoto,

This problem will be fixed in Service Pack 2. I will inform you once it is released.

Best regards,
Jick

Hello dmatsumoto,

As a quick fix, please edit the XML file by changing the second line of content:
<xmi:Documentation exporter=‘MagicDraw UML’ exporterVersion=‘12.1’/>

to
<xmi:Documentation xmi:Exproter=‘MagicDraw UML’ xmi:ExporterVersion=‘12.1’/>

Best regards,
Jick

Hmm… I still don’t see any class diagrams. I’ll do some more testing on a simpler project and will get back to you. Thanks!

Hello dmatsumoto,

How about having a try with service pack 2? If you need I can arrange a copy for you, although this will be released very soon.

Best regards,
Jick

[quote=Jick]Hello dmatsumoto,

How about having a try with service pack 2? If you need I can arrange a copy for you, although this will be released very soon.

Best regards,
Jick[/quote]

Hi Jick,

I can wait until the official SP2 release. Thank you!

Dave

Hi Jick, by any chance will you be able to reissue a trial license to me, so I can resume testing after SP2 is released? Thanks!

Hi Dave,

Service Pack 2 is released. I have sent you an email with the evaluation you needed. You can run the product updater to advance to the latest release.

Please feel free to let me know if you need any helps.

Best regards,
Jick

Thanks! I’ll resume my evaluation immediately, and appreciate your prompt responses!

Hi Dave,

My pleasure. Feel free to let me know if you have any questions.

Best regards.
Jick

Bummer… I upgraded to SP2, then re-imported my UML from MagicDraw as both XMI and XML, and although the import “succeeded”, it still didn’t create any objects or diagrams.

Hello dmatsumoto,

Do you see any models created inside Model Tree? Could you send me your XMI for reproducing the problem?

Best regards,
Jick