Sub-Process / Call Activity

First of all i want to say i’am pretty new to both Business Process Modelling and working with Agilian.

I just took some time working through BPMN 2.0 and also did some Buisness Process Diagramms in Agilian.

Now i wanted to to reuse some of my processes as sub-processes in other diagrams.

First:

When building a sub-process and referring to an existing diagram, it always gets parent of the diagram. Thats not what i want, as i want to reuse the sub-process over and over again in diffrent diagrams within my modell. For now i have to unroot it every time. Is there any way to define a process-diagram to be a global reuseable one?

Second:

I tried to do this by Call Activity, but this one wont work as i expected. BPMN 2.0 says Call Activity should be the new kind of reuseable sub-process, but i can only call an existing activity and cant find any effect. There is no expand to see the called activity, no link, no way to access the called object. I guess i miss the concept of this element.

Third:
Why Agilian has [Embedet-Sub-Process]; [Reuseable-Sub-Process];[Reference-Sub-Process];[Event-Sub-Process];[Call Activity]?

BPMN 2.0 says: The BPMN 2.0 Call Activity corresponds to the Reusable Sub-Process of BPMN 1.2. A BPMN 2.0 Sub-Process
corresponds to the Embedded Sub-Process of BPMN 1.2

So for me it seems it should just be [Sub-Process]; [Call Activity]; [Event-Sub-Process]. (and some Global Process to be called)

Please help me understanding why we got al this types in Agilian and when to use them.

I am replying to this topic in order to bump it up the forum page and ask that the folks at VP consider documenting this part of the product better than it currently is.

Like sgrah, I am also unsure exactly which of these subprocess/activity types should be considered deprecated and which are the ones that follow the official BPMN 2 spec.

Thanks.

hey there

me and my team are having the same problem, every time we call a sub process, the whole process is called under the process that use the sub process in , we have to put the sub process back to it’s place in the model and use again it some where else

Please help

Sorry for a delayed reaction, it might be better to start a new thread though. See; the comments you responded to are 8 years, and being a veteran VP user myself (at least where usage is concerned, it’s not my intention to insinuate that I know everything about it) I can assure you that a lot of things changed in the past 8 years :wink:

Just to make sure I understand: You have different BPMN diagrams within different models (set up using either the project browser or perhaps the model explorer or diagram navigator panes). You add a sub process model element in one of your diagrams, click the + sign, select an existing diagram and then the referenced diagram is placed within the same model “under” the first diagram.

That’s basically the summary of the problem, right?

Well, this is by design. The problem is that by using the + sign you’re basically assigning a so called sub diagram and those diagrams are then “linked” to the main diagram (a sort of parent / child relationship), ergo one will be placed below the other to display their place in the hierarchy.

The best way to avoid this is to use a so called reference instead of creating (or linking) a new sub diagram:

Click on the model element and then click on the arrow icon in the lower left corner. Then use the “Add diagram” option as shown above. This allows you to reference another diagram which means that you’ll be able to access the other diagram by clicking on the same icon (it’ll be displayed in a list) but the diagram itself will remain in its original place in your model structure.

Hope this can help!

I’m not sure if it’s technically correct or not, but I have been using a “Call Activity” instead of a “Task” to call other diagrams which are not sub-diagrams.

Hi all,

I would like to let you know we had enhanced the v15.2 software which now support linking BPD to multiple sub-process. Please update the software to latest patch build (20190230de or later) to get this enhancement. Details about update to latest patch can be found at

• Please make sure you have pressed the “Update to latest patch” button on the left hand side of the dialog right after launching the update program

Feel free to contact me if you require any further information.

Best regards,
Rain Wong

1 Like